Low Census- HELP

Nurses LPN/LVN

Published

I NEED HOURS! I am in RN school currently. (Located in Tampa bay area, FL)

About two months ago I picked up a new PRN job with a facility offering 12 hour shifts. They began cancelling me left and right stating that they had to prioritize agency nurses due to a contract in place until the contract expired in February. I missed an entire week of work. I was recently notified that they are getting rid of the 12 hour shifts in February also, so I applied to an agency for work around school hours.

Now the agency has cancelled me two days in a row due to low census at the facility they were planning to staff me at. I'm not getting paid here and I'm about to be drowning in my bills. Is anyone else going through this? I don't know how to proceed so that I can finish my RN program without losing my home or starving.

This is a vent/advice thread by the way so sorry for complaining

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

That's the problem with agency/ per diem- you are the first to get booted. Seems like a part-time job where you are a direct employee is the solution. WAY more stable employment.

Yep. That is the nature of PRN work. I get canceled for weeks at a time. Other times, they're calling me begging me to come in on a daily basis. If you need a set number of hours to survive, it's not the right option for you.

+ Add a Comment