NCE Exam Prep

Nursing Students SRNA

Published

I know there are a lot of SRNA hopefuls on this forum, but this topic is specifically for those who have been accepted to or are in a program (SRNAs and future SRNAs).

So, I'm only just starting my second semester of a front loaded program, but you know what they say. You have to start studying for the NCE exam as soon as possible. Preferably yesterday, LOL.

Anyway, I noticed in my first semester, I put a lot of effort into the Advanced Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathophysiology class because it was worth 6 credits. And it's really tough, detailed, and good info to know. But I really just glided through my "Basics of Anesthesia" class, doing the readings, but not really putting in my best effort, just studying enough to pass on exams. My out of class studying probably was 90% APP and 10% the rest (Pharmacology, Basics of Anesthesia, Scientific Principles, etc).

On Winter Break, I decided to look up the CONTENT on the NCE (and SEE) exams. Guess what. It's only about 12.5% APP, and 30% "Basics of Anesthesia." And something else I noticed, my whole curriculum is, essentially, derived from the NCE exam content (thank you Clarkson College!).

To make a long story short, before putting a lot of work into one subject based on the credit hours, make sure you know what is going to be on the exam, and how much each subject makes up on the exam.

Yes, I know that APP is a foundation for most of the "Basic" and "Advanced" principles of anesthesia, but it might be more prudent to put more effort into the portion of the NCE that is weighted the heaviest. And if you get to an APP concept while studying "Basics" or "Advanced" principles, stop and look it up to fully understand the concept.

Also, note that the content wording and exam content has changed a bit, as of the first of January. So if you've downloaded the content before, I would suggest downloading the new content.

Any thoughts, comments, concerns?

I wouldn't worry about it so much. Get through the didactic and then focus on clinical. Once you are there, sign up for Apex, Valley, or Prodigy. I am personally using Apex. Passing your classes gives you the right to take the NCE, one of these courses will help you pass it. Your clinical experience will train you in how to do anesthesia.

Worry about boards closer to when you have to take them and just use Apex.

Specializes in ICU.

Apex is all you need. It's good to have during didactics, too.

+ Add a Comment