California new grad RN planning to work in Australia

World Immigration

Published

Hello all,

I plan to move to Australia and work for maybe 1-2 years, the reason is because as a new grad I can not find any jobs here in California (they want experienced nurses) unfortunately it is very competitive for new grads at the moment. I've heard Australia hires a lot of new nurses because of your shortage, so I hope to gather a lot of experience from Australia, so that when I come back to California my chances of getting hired are much greater. In the meantime, I have come up with some questions which I hope some of you can answer:

1. What is the process I have to go through in order to be registered to work there and how long will it take?

2. What is the starting rate for New grad RN's?

3. Are there any hospitals in Australia that are affiliated with hospitals in California?

4. Is this a wise decision regarding my career path?

5. How good/bad are the chances of getting hired as a New Grad RN?

6. What is your advice and tips?

This will be a huge change for me, but I am very excited and willing to make it work, housing will not be an issue because I have a lot of family down there.

Thank you in Advance

As much as it would be lovely to have American Nurses in Australia, it is unlikely you will be able to get a graduate nursing position. Australian states are having a serious shortage of grad jobs, with less than half Australian graduate nurses being employed. Most states have rules which mean that they will proritise applications. In QLD, you are prority 1 if you are Australian Citizen graduating from a QLD Uni, prority 2 if you are Australian Citizen graduating from interstate uni, and I think prority 6 if you are an international citizen graduating from an international uni. So when there are less than 500 graduate nursing positions total in QLD for approximately 1000 QLD uni grads, it might be a bit tough for overseas born and trained nurses to get a look in.

But, if you aren't fussy, give it a go. Might as well apply to EVERYWHERE, VIC, NSW, QLD, WA, SA, NT, ACT and Tas. Public, private and community health, mental health and GP clinics. Anywhere just to get a foot in the door. AGED CARE. Is an area not very popular with new grads who are young in Australia so it might be possible to land a job with one of the many aged care facilities. (Do a google search). Sure, it isn't working in a hospital and it may not be what you want to do, but after one year you have experience and Australian references and you can apply for hospital jobs. Plus, aged care is nowhere near as fussy as hospitals. They can't afford to be! Yes the pay isn't as good, but it is a good option.

Even for aged care you should have worked as an Assistant In Nursing or personal carer or some role similar. It is pretty hard to get a job nowdays without that experience, although there will always be the people who tell you otherwise. It is just so competitive you simply have to have it all in order to try and get a foot up on your opponents. Get some experience if you really want a chance.

Agencies will not take you on until you have one-three years experience (depending on the agency and their rep) even for aged care!

Many applications for private and public hospitals for Jan/Feb 2011 and July/August 2011 have already closed. But a number are still open. Everybody pretty much advertises on seek (www.seek.com.au) and you can select state/city and type in keywords.

Rego is a tricky thing in Oz, by now I'm pretty sure all states except WA are under AHPRA (www.ahpra.gov.au) which unfortuantly for new grads and new nurses wanting to register - is a terrible thing! The system is inefficient and even though you might speak English as a first language, because you are not Australian born chances are you'll have to sit an English language test which will cost you around $500. Allow at least three months from when you submit you application to when you might possibly get your rego. These guys are slow and inefficient. Try and get your rego before you even come to Oz. Because otherwise you'll be sitting around for ages with no work. Oh and you'll need a police check in your home state or possibly a federal check. Details will be on the website.

Or, do your best to get a year in your country, then apply to come out here. You'll find Australia alot more welcoming if you have one year experience!

Specializes in NICU, missions.

I spent months trying to join a US travel nurse agency after spending years overseas in Europe and Australia. No one would take me on without recent US experience...Eventually, I found a company who sent me to Guam for 13 weeks (which counted as US experience) and then on to a crappy assignment in AZ...again because all the hospitals wanted recent US experience and weren't willing to consider Aussie/UK experience.

Hello, I am a new nurse (less than 6 months exp) looking to move in 2011 to Sydney. I've been reading this thread and was a little confused about the process of finding a job. I've also looked at the AUS Visa website which gives so much info but does not tell you step by step what is needed.

Is the best course to go through recruiters or just call around to the different hospitals in Sydney?

Are there hospitals anyone would recommended or not recommend?

Is it true that you need a BSN to get a RN job in AUS?

Thanks for help

hi lucky16 and Trista how's the process going or are you guys already in Australia. I will graduate in May 13 with a BSN and looking forward to move to Australia as well. Please share any info with me. Thanks

Specializes in Camp Nursing, Cardiac.

I come from Maine which has a REALLY bad job market (like cali). I thought about moving overseas but honestly it just didn't make sense if I wanted to come back to the US for work. I ended up moving to Texas and getting a job as a cardiac nurse as a new grad in Lubbock. If your willing to move to a smaller city then you have a better chance of getting a job. If your looking for adventure then look into signing with the miliitary as a civilian and work at the over seas hospitals (that counts as US experience and you still get to work overseas). Unless you have a burning desire to move to Australia I wouldn't make the decision as a career move, but perhaps a fun experience. Hope that helps.

I have thought long and hard about answering this post........and feel I need to say something about the service that Australian nurses in the past have afforded US citizens and how their expertise and experience clearly was considered......

As Australia and the UK, Canada appeciate and take into consideration nursing expertise and experience, whether it be in New York or Timbuktu....... I was wondering why nursing in Australia is not considered as nursing experience by American hospitals and perhaps as you put it a'bit of fun'':down:

My grandmother was a nurse during, W11 and nursed many injured US soldiers, that were brought to Australian hospitals, my mother was a civilian nurse in Vietnam and many of her patients were US soldiers as there were no other nurses around, my cousin was a nursing officer in the Australian navy during the gulf conflict looking after US soldiers, wonder if their nursing expertise and experience would be considered of any value or a bit of fun, in the US mainland hospitals, in their time!

Hi, I am in a similar situation. I am from the US and I will be graduating in May as an RN and I would like to move for a couple years, possibly permanently out to Brisbane, and was wondering if, like asked above, if a bachelors degree is required or if just being a licensed RN is acceptable? I understand that experience is helpful in the process, but i really didnt want to have to wait another year to move. I have contacted a couple local hospitals and agencies for more info, but am still waiting on replies...

Specializes in CVICU, Obs/Gyn, Derm, NICU.
I have thought long and hard about answering this post........and feel I need to say something about the service that Australian nurses in the past have afforded US citizens and how their expertise and experience clearly was considered......

As Australia and the UK, Canada appeciate and take into consideration nursing expertise and experience, whether it be in New York or Timbuktu....... I was wondering why nursing in Australia is not considered as nursing experience by American hospitals and perhaps as you put it a'bit of fun'':down:

My grandmother was a nurse during, W11 and nursed many injured US soldiers, that were brought to Australian hospitals, my mother was a civilian nurse in Vietnam and many of her patients were US soldiers as there were no other nurses around, my cousin was a nursing officer in the Australian navy during the gulf conflict looking after US soldiers, wonder if their nursing expertise and experience would be considered of any value or a bit of fun, in the US mainland hospitals, in their time!

Perhaps nursing everywhere can be a bit parochial - unfortunately

I've seen Australian nurse managers, with no more education than a nursing certificate, dismiss first rate US nursing education and experience (because it's not 'local').

However that shouldn't put US nurses off. I would advise them to make multiple applications - they will find a more open minded manager sooner or later

Know this post is originally from a while back but I'm curious if you ever ended up moving to Australia to work? I graduated in California and had a difficult time finding work so I moved to North Dakota for an RN poisition. I maintain my CA license but I've been contemplating after a year of experience moving to Australia to work for a year or two. Just curious how your experience of transfering might have gone?

Know this post is originally from a while back but I'm curious if you ever ended up moving to Australia to work? I graduated in California and had a difficult time finding work so I moved to North Dakota for an RN poisition. I maintain my CA license but I've been contemplating after a year of experience moving to Australia to work for a year or two. Just curious how your experience of transfering might have gone?

Yes I was wondering the same, I am just beginning nursing school but want to travel after a few years and would love to hear your experience!

Were you able to get any replies from hospitals in Australia? I graduate in April 2014 and was considering going overseas to Australia as well.

I think you need experience at home first, too many differences here for you, with no experience, meds, drs oders, spelling, all different no specialtist nurses for IV,s, etc an Australian RN is expected to do it all, in most places. From showering, cleaning up after no 1's annd 2's to mixing antis and giving IV.

Along with that, agencies for legal reasons cannot offer you work as a new grad, and hospitals and nursing home are now inundated with applications - no nursing shortage at the moment for generalists would be hesitant to employ someone with no experience and not familiar with aged care funding instrument and meds.

At this time of they year Australian new grads are finishing uni and are looking for work, and many find themselves unemployed for the next year and some beyond.

+ Add a Comment