Stony Brook Accelerated BSN class of 2013

U.S.A. New York

Published

Hey all! Just wanted to lend my support to anyone else who is applying to SB next summer! It's a grueling process :-)):yeah:

Specializes in ICU / PCU / Telemetry / Oncology.
Thank you Paco! That was extremley helpful, you are always so informative =)

I would love to do the 1 year, but sometimes I just think about whether or not I'd like to keep working while getting my RN, so I consider the 2 year as well. Hopefully someone knows how the acceptance to the 1 year program affects the 2 year situation lol. Thanks Again!!

Thanks Dollface :) ... hopefully you will make the best decision for you! I can tell you this much, the 1-year program does NOT leave much steady time to work. I do know for a fact that some of my ABSN classmates DO work, but they must be lucky enough to have flexible schedules. But even so, they prob don't work that many hours. I know the ABSN "discourages" working but does not forbid it. Clearly, it can be done but you can't be a slacker, that's for sure.

Thank you Paco! My job is very flexible, so I most likely would be able to work while doing the 1 -year, but just not enough. And the 2 year would allow for full or almost full time status which means I'd be able to pay for it while going to school at SBU, and the idea of leaving without student loans is extremley enticing!

I know that the decisions for the 1 years are made first and acceptance to that admission is time sensitive, right?

I think I can answer this question based on my experience last year. When I got my acceptance in Feb, I had buttons to press on SOLAR to indicate whether I accepted or declined the offer of admission (I don't recall too well, but I think I had 1 or 2 weeks to accept). I actually hit ACCEPT about a day later, and when you accept you are supposed to pay a $150 deposit (not sure if the amount will remain the same this year). However, I did not pay the deposit until the end of March, and I was told by people from the previous class that your seat is reserved as long as you pay it by April 1. So technically, you have time to pay (again, not sure if this will change this year). This was good for me because at least I knew I had something in the works while I waited to hear from 2 other schools in March. Once I decided on SBU, I paid the deposit on SOLAR.

What happens if you prefer the 2 year option? If you accept the 1 yr offer, are you removed from the pool for the 2 year?

This I am not sure about, as I did not apply to the 2-year program. Hopefully someone from the 2-year program (JR or SR class) or even my ABSN class will see this and answer your question. But personally, if I had to choose again between 1-year and 2-year, I would choose the 1-year all over again (that's just me, as someone who has been in school for so many years, lol). But if you feel you REALLY want to be in the 2-year program, you could always decline the 1-year and hope for the best (see below).

And if you decline the 1 yr, there is no guarantee that you will be accepted to the 2 year, right?

That's right. It's a gamble because once you decline the 1-year the seat is given to a waitlisted candidate.

HTH!

Just to add to this:

Something you may not know about SBU's program is that if you fail a class in the 1 year program, or if you tell the program advisor that you're feeling overwhelmed by the program, you can "decelerate" to the 2 year program. That means you will be moved into the new junior 2 year class (but will still finish up some of the 1 year classes that you were already in).

Sooo if you're not sure you can handle the 1 year program, or you feel like you'll need a bit more free time, you can always accept the offer for the 1 year program and give it a try. If it's overwhelming, it's not the end of the world! You can just be moved to the 2 year class instead. :) So really getting into the 1 year program is a great option.

Wow, thanks kmcg11! That's great news =) It's nice to know that there are options. Im just worried about money (who isnt) bills and expenses while I'm finishing school. Thanks so much for answering my questions, kmcg11 and Paco!! :cheers: cheers to you guys!

Yes, thanks kmcg ... there is that deceleration option (which of course is never mentioned to students but becomes an option only when it has to - so if you're not doing well academically, it will likely be suggested to you. I think there is a whole admisement process involved to decelerating, not sure - but I gather it's not as simple as a drop/add). Most 1-years DO finish the program in 12 months, but a handful do have to decelerate for different reasons as kmcg stated. I would hope no one goes into the ABSN "planning" to decelerate (which in my mind is not fair to other candidates who were waitlisted and had the ability to get through it), just sayin'. Deceleration is prob not an option until after the summer is over, I did not hear of this happening until the fall semester.

I would have to say that the summer was really NOT that bad as compared to the fall. Once pharm and path got added into the mix early Nov, the 2 weeks preceding Thanksgiving were a freaking nightmare! It's not just reading and studying for exams, but there are papers and presentations and clinical writeups to get done too. I can see why some people start getting weeded out during the fall. It gets intense.

Hello I am new to this forum. I would like to apply to Stony Brook BSN next year. Can anyone tell what stony brook wants to know in the personal statement?

Dlam88,

When you're completing the application, they outline what you should discuss in your personal statement:

How to answer the essay question

The essay question or personal response, needs to address the following topics:

• Why have you chosen to pursue nursing as a career?
  • Why do you want to pursue baccalaureate preparation in nursing?
  • What qualities do you believe you possess that will enable you to perform effectively as a student and later as a practicing nurse?
  • How can nursing address and improve global healthcare needs?

I think Paco said it best when he mentioned that your personal statement is where you sell yourself to the school. It's personal, so pour your heart out. Why do you want to be a nurse?? I also discussed some personal attributes that I think I posess as well as instances in my life and educational career that reflected these characteristics that will be helpful as a student and then as a nurse. I'm hoping that my letters of recommendations will support these characteristics and my success (hopefully!) in the program.

I hope this helped! I'm sure Paco and kmcg will be able to further address your question, as their personal statements resulted in their admission to the school!

I am typing this on my phone so I will be brief :) You want to try to stand out and be remembered, in the sense that you are bringing something different to the table than most applicants. Stay away from canned and cliché phrases ("I want to help people") and highlight your personal story and personal strengths, in both academia AND as a potential nurse. Show the committee that you are more than just a GPA (no matter how low or high it is). Your recommendations should back up the caliber of a person your essay reflects. That's about it in a nutshell. Kmcg may have a different take on this, since we both bring very different qualities to the program. For starters, she is so much smarter than me!! :D

I just got a job at United Cerebral Palsy, and they have a program where, once you've worked for them for one year, they'll pay for you to go to nursing school if you promise to work for them for two years afterwards. That is AWESOME, and you're guaranteed a job afterwards... you can't lose here! If I don't get in this year, and am employed with UCP in a year, I will DEFINITELY be giving this a shot.

Mindy,

Congratulations on your new job! Where are they located? and what exactly will your job entail?

Thanks so much, dollface! The facility that I'll be working at is in North Merrick/Roosevelt (Nassau County). I'll be doing Medicaid Service Coordination, which is essentially finding appropriate resources in the community for people with disabilities. I've been in this particular field for almost three years now and was previously a coordinator at a group home. There is a lot of medical stuff involved (probably moreso at my old job) and I've learned a lot about nursing since working with the developmentally disabled, and although it's difficult at times, I love it!

+ Add a Comment