<Information about Touro Nevada>

U.S.A. Nevada

Published

hi everyone!

i got accepted to touro nevada today and wanted to know if any students/anyone knew any specifics about the program? i.e. class/clinical scheduling, academic work load, curriculum, and is as ridiculously as complicated/difficult as the faculty made it seem during my interview...i have said before that they made it seem way too tough or either really good, i am still not sure which one to go with! i am excited though and interested in any information, which anybody can pass on! i was told about this specific camp thing that they are doing right before the july start, what is that all about? i still have not been told too much info about it from the college.

well thanks for your insights!

There are a lot of apartments besides the two mentioned. Remington is the absolute closest...practically walking distance. I personally liked Villa Sereno which is also nearby because the apartment was really nice. I went for price over a fancy place, though, because I was only there for 16 months. But there are a lot of places within 1-2 miles of the school. Shop around for the best deal! =) Good luck

I created this list two years ago so the prices will be different but just so you get an idea of what is available...There were some I did visit but isn't listed because either the prices were ridiculous or the area wasn't nice.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsodYUELXN4qdEdMWllXM1NadHNoRWZSRHgtQjlmZlE&hl=en_US#gid=1

Some advice I was given: Try to avoid living East of 215...stay to the West.

I created this list two years ago so the prices will be different but just so you get an idea of what is available...There were some I did visit but isn't listed because either the prices were ridiculous or the area wasn't nice.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsodYUELXN4qdEdMWllXM1NadHNoRWZSRHgtQjlmZlE&hl=en_US#gid=1

Some advice I was given: Try to avoid living East of 215...stay to the West.

Hi Empyreal,

Thank you for the list of apartments! It helped me with where to start looking and I really appreciate that. Prices for apartments have gone up but not by much..thank god for that! Lol! Now that I have found a place only 5 mins away from Touro, I feel so much better. At least, one less thing to worry about.

Empyreal, If you don't mind me asking, how was your overall experience with Touro's nursing program and are you currently working as an RN and where?

Hi aquari11,

I'm glad the spreadsheet helped you! As for my TUN experience, there were definitely many people with varying opinions. Personally, I enjoyed the experience. As with many schools and programs, you'll find the usual bumps and obstacles that leave you thinking "WTH!" but that's to be expected. I've been to many universities and I can strongly say that the environment at TUN was great...everybody was friendly and it felt like a huge family (it helps that everything is within a security-protected building). For the most part, faculty were helpful and willing to listen to you but do expect a lot of self-motivation and studying (it is a fast program!). I made great friends as well, and I still keep in contact with some of the faculty. I did a lot of volunteering (that was a big plus) and tried to be involved with school activities (I was pinning chair =D ). I made the best of the experience and education, and really, at the end of the day the most important thing is that TUN is giving me the chance to become a nurse.

In two weeks, I begin work as an RN on the Progressive Care Unit (PCU), which is a telemetry/step-down unit. =)

hi im about to apply in december for the march program and honestly I'm really freaking out about the process. As of now I'm pretty sure the competition is crazy and I'm not even sure if I have a shot at this. Starting off college the first 2 year was really hectic because i took classes that was asked of me as a bio major but now that i finally pursued a career in nursing I've been taking the main pre-req classes needed. So basically my GE's are not as good as they should be but for the pre-reqs they're a little better. I got a B in chem, A's in anatomy and physiology and normal psychology and i'm currently taking micro, nutrition, and developmental psychology. I still have to take the TEAS and i'm freaking out about that as well. Do you think that I have a shot at getting in at all?

hi im about to apply in december for the march program and honestly I'm really freaking out about the process. As of now I'm pretty sure the competition is crazy and I'm not even sure if I have a shot at this. Starting off college the first 2 year was really hectic because i took classes that was asked of me as a bio major but now that i finally pursued a career in nursing I've been taking the main pre-req classes needed. So basically my GE's are not as good as they should be but for the pre-reqs they're a little better. I got a B in chem, A's in anatomy and physiology and normal psychology and i'm currently taking micro, nutrition, and developmental psychology. I still have to take the TEAS and i'm freaking out about that as well. Do you think that I have a shot at getting in at all?

So basically you have a 3.something GPA and still have to take your TEAS. That pretty much describes the majority of Touro applicants. The TEAS is easier than the PSAT...seriously, but it's very broad (Geology??). I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm gonna be starting 4th semester in a couple weeks and I know for a fact that the entrance requirements are getting a bit more specific/difficult (because they don't want to have a repeat of a few cohorts back when the NCLEX pass rate was rather crappy). That being said, it's a private school with no notable endowments and they waaaant the $$$ to keep going. I believe a mix of As/Bs and even the odd C in something outside of A&P and/or Micro combined with a decent TEAS score is in the realm of possibility to gain entrance into the program. I would certainly recommend coming to the campus to meet with the Admissions people either way. I think it shows initiative and will help set you apart from other faceless candidates.

The competition might be a bit stiffer than it was when I applied but I'm pretty sure they rejected less people than they accepted that year. Touro is getting better each semester but it's not UCLA and, therefore, I would channel any anxiety you have about attending to finishing up what you still have to do. Good luck!

thank you so much! the thing is i have been looking at other schools just thinking that i should apply to their programs just in case but truthfully i just really want to get into touro. it just looks like such a good program and plus it's only a few hours away from home. I just have no idea if it's harder to get into the spring quarter than it is for the fall quarter. also i've been attending universities that go by a quarter system oppose to a semester system and all my classes are quarter units. So for anatomy it was 5 quarter units but converted over to semester units it's only like 3.33 something and that doesn't meet that 4 semester units requirment! I called in to ask them about that and they said they would have to review that and would only give preferences on a certain basis, but i'm scared that i would already be giving preferences for a lower gpa. i really want to go to this school. :'(

Hey guys. Another Touro grad here. The best thing to go about housing is to send a mass email to your classmates and ask them to be roommates. Rent is a bit expensive if you live by yourself. If you don't mind driving far from school, there's a couple of places you can check out too that is reasonably priced. I lived with two other classmates throughout the whole program and ended up paying only $460/month (including internet and electric). My suggestion is to live 8min away from school cuz you get better deals that way. Remington Canyon is crap!! Their management isn't so great even though it is a bit cheap. Some of my classmates used to live there and did not like the environment, particularly loud neighbors and cockroaches and what nots. So if you want a quieter environment, go farther out from school like Cielo, Adiamo etc. Hope this helps.

I live down the street at the end of arryo grande and there is a small town house gated community where I know a lot of TU students live. A place here right now runs about 950 and with a garage. Thats a two bed room.

My three bed room is about 1100, the neighborhood is quite, the gym is never used at the pool house, and its a short bike to the campus.

USN is right around the corner as well so it really is a good "college community" for those serious about their schooling.

....my only question is ...isn't TU halting their nursing program for right now?

How hard is it to get accepted to the BSN program as far as TEAS score and GPA? how many applications do they receive and how many are accepted? Thanks.

I honestly think they have less applicants and are not currently accepting any for the upcoming semester till they revamp their program.

Specializes in IMC.
I honestly think they have less applicants and are not currently accepting any for the upcoming semester till they revamp their program.

Incorrect

Touro received permission to accept 56 students for November, and are likely to accept students for March as well, as long as they maintain 80% NCLEX pass rate.

http://nevadanursingboard.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/071811boardmin.pdf

I believe they have become stricter with their admissions requirements due to their need to maintain the 80% pass rate.

http://tun.touro.edu/prospective-students/applying-for-admission/bsn-admission/

+ Add a Comment