LOVE working Corrections

Specialties Correctional

Published

Specializes in Public Health, School Nursing, Psych.

:heartbeatHi Everyone - Well, I started in corrections almost 3 months ago (CCWF - the female institution in Central CA with death row, SNF, TTA, DDP, EOP/MH, RN Triage Lines, R&R, Ad Seg, etc.) and I LOVE it.

For those of you who may be wondering (like I was) what I would do each day, there are so many possibilities, particularly at a "Cluster" prison like the one where I'm working. Cluster means it's a prison with (almost) every service/treatment available. We have DDP, SNF, R&R, Crisis Unit, EOP, Ad Seg, Death Row, etc.

I ended up in Specialty Float and that means I get to work in:

TTA - very autonomous

Utilization Management

RN Triage Line - Evaluating inmate requests for care and routing them as appropriate or putting them on the RN line for the following day (sometimes same day if the schedule will allow)

Telemedicine - You get to be the MD's hands

EOP/Ad Seg - Like the RN Traige Line but with a different cast of characters - good times!!

This was the best choice ever - I missed psych at first, but there's plenty of that for me at CCWF. :heartbeat

Specializes in corrections.

LOVE corrections too!

I've been doing this for a year and a half, and I still pinch myself because I feel to lucky to work in corrections.

Love seeing this! I am a new Grad and was just hired and will start soon! I welcome challenges...

:nurse:This is so encouraging to me!! I just graduated in May and after no response in the DFW Tx. area, decided to apply to a corrections facility. I am just one week into the security clearance, so I guess at least three more weeks before a job offer may be extended. I really am happy I happened to stumble onto a correctional application, and I love psychiatry and I figure this will be a great place to use psychiatric nursing with medical too. Some of my school cohorts are saying, but you wont get the bedside skills-I understand this concern, but the pay is 7 and some cases 10/hr higher than bedside. Besides pay, I think corrections will bring so many unique opportunities and experiences-so glad you love it, I think I will love it too:nurse::redbeathe:nurse:

Interesting - bedside manners are the furthest from my mind. Learning and strengthing my skills are my main drive and trust me, someone in need of a medical intervention could careless if you provide good bedside manners as all they care about is if you know what you are doing and save their life! lol - so tell that to your cohorts - lol.

:nurse:This is so encouraging to me!! I just graduated in May and after no response in the DFW Tx. area, decided to apply to a corrections facility. I am just one week into the security clearance, so I guess at least three more weeks before a job offer may be extended. I really am happy I happened to stumble onto a correctional application, and I love psychiatry and I figure this will be a great place to use psychiatric nursing with medical too. Some of my school cohorts are saying, but you wont get the bedside skills-I understand this concern, but the pay is 7 and some cases 10/hr higher than bedside. Besides pay, I think corrections will bring so many unique opportunities and experiences-so glad you love it, I think I will love it too:nurse::redbeathe:nurse:
+ Add a Comment