Shoes to buy for the OR

Posted
by Ready4theOR Ready4theOR (New) New Student

Hi! Graduating soon and I’m planning on buying nursing shoes as a gift to myself when I pass my NCLEX. I’m 100% willing to splurge, but what do you guys recommend? I’ll be doing an OR residency if that matters at all 

pedirn1977

pedirn1977, BSN

Specializes in Pediatric OR. Has 45 years experience. 6 Posts

Something comfortable, with good arch support.  Closed toed and heels. I prefer solid shoes (no mesh).  A really good walking shoe is a start.

Rose_Queen, BSN, MSN, RN

Specializes in OR, education. Has 17 years experience. 5 Articles; 10,985 Posts

Ask 20 nurses this question, and you'll get at least 20 answers if not more. A lot of people swear by Danskos, but they literally kill my feet. Get something comfortable- you could even go to some of the higher end shoe stores and get professionally fitted. My podiatrist sent me to a sports shoe store, and I walked out of there with the best pair of work shoes I've ever worn.

Ready4theOR

Ready4theOR

13 Posts

On 4/14/2021 at 9:41 AM, pedirn1977 said:

Something comfortable, with good arch support.  Closed toed and heels. I prefer solid shoes (no mesh).  A really good walking shoe is a start.

I figured mesh would be a bad idea! Lots of nurses have told me to do Hoka, but those tend to be mesh lined

On 4/14/2021 at 5:25 PM, Rose_Queen said:

Ask 20 nurses this question, and you'll get at least 20 answers if not more. A lot of people swear by Danskos, but they literally kill my feet. Get something comfortable- you could even go to some of the higher end shoe stores and get professionally fitted. My podiatrist sent me to a sports shoe store, and I walked out of there with the best pair of work shoes I've ever worn.

I tried Danskos in store they felt odd to me. I think the sizing is very difficult too. Did the sports shoe store professionally fit you? I didn't know they had these options available at stores

Rose_Queen, BSN, MSN, RN

Specializes in OR, education. Has 17 years experience. 5 Articles; 10,985 Posts

36 minutes ago, Ready4theOR said:

Did the sports shoe store professionally fit you? I didn't know they had these options available at stores

They did, and they also took into account the custom orthotic inserts

heather42r

heather42r

Specializes in OR. Has 8 years experience. 35 Posts

Shoes are one thing but get yourself some compression socks for whatever shoes you end up with. I like the sockwell socks (amazon, sockwell, some actual stores) and wear the 20-30mmHg compression. My legs feel tired and heavy wearing normal socks after a shift. Those socks last a long time; worth every penny.

mrn112

mrn112

15 Posts

I just bought a pair of the Asics gel nimbus shoes and they are so comfy. Go to a store to try on your size first though because they run small.

Mushroomprint

Mushroomprint

Has 9 years experience. 15 Posts

Some OR's require you to have a leather top to help prevent sharps sticks if anything is dropped off the field. Finding a pair of athletic/running shoes with that is hard to find because many of them still have small perforations for breathability. I found that the Nike Janoski Max's (the leather or suede versions) fit the bill for comfort and meet the OR requirement at my hospital.