- NCLEX Pass Rate 95
- Location Mobile, Alabama
- Programs BSN, DNP, MSN, RN-to-MSN, RN-to-BSN, Entry-Level BSN, MSN-to-DNP, CNL, NP, Accelerated BSN, Post-grad Certificate, Other
- Website URL Visit Website
The University of South Alabama, or South as it is called, is a public institution that was founded in 1963.
Beyond the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree, students at the University of South Alabama College of Nursing have the option to take their education to the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) level and the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) level, as well as adding a Post-Graduate certificate in the chosen specialty field. Below are the programs broken down into all the offerings at the University of South Alabama.
High School Students
There are options at the University of South Alabama for high school junior and senior students. Qualified students may be accepted early into the Nursing program.
High school seniors can enter the program early for guaranteed admission.
Those who have completed their freshman year at USA also get guaranteed admission into the school of Nursing. These students must have achieved a 3.2 GPA or above.
Traditional Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
With the traditional BSN degree, students take perquisite courses and nursing courses over the course of four years. In the end, a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) will be issued, as well as eligibility to take the Registered Nurse (RN) licensure NCLEX exam.
Associate's and Diploma to BSN/MSN
For those students who have an Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN/ASN) or Diploma, an accelerated BSN/MSN pathway is offered.
Bachelor's in another field to BSN/MSN
Students who want to become nurses have the option to take their other Bachelor’s degree and apply it to the credit hours required for a BSN/MSN degree, shortening the length of the program.
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
With the design in compliance with the Essentials for Doctor of Nursing Practice programs as put forth by the American Association of College of Nursing, the DNP program is available for students as well. This is for those nursing students who want a higher degree to become prepared to care for the community and individuals at an advanced level. The focus is geared towards managing care of populations, managing systems, and developing policies.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) to DNP
Master of Science in Nursing to DNP Bridge Program for Clinical Nurse Leaders to Executive Nursing Administration
BSN to DNP
Adult-Gerontological Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
Adult-Gerontological Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Adult-Gerontological Clinical Nurse Specialist
Clinical Nurse Leader
Dual Role (Family Nurse Practitioner/Adult-Gerontological Acute Care Nurse Practitioner)
Executive Nursing Administration
Family Nurse Practitioner
Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Psychiatric (Family) Nurse Practitioner
Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner
These specialties are not primary areas of advanced practice nursing but an additional Post-Graduate Certificate:
Clinical Lipidology Subspecialty
Nursing Education Subspecialty
Palliative Care Subspecialty
Accreditation and Approval
The baccalaureate degree in nursing, master's degree in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice, and post-graduate APRN certificate programs at the University of South Alabama College of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
The University of South Alabama is accredited by The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
The entry level baccalaureate program at the University of South Alabama is approved by the Alabama Board of Nursing.
US News & World Report (2019)
- #230-#301 in National Universities
- #121 (tie) in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs
- #173 (tie) in Best Online Bachelor's Programs
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #260
- Top Public Universities in America #260
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #417
- Best College Campuses in America #429
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #564
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #595
- Best Colleges in America #677
- Best College Locations in America #768
- Best Value Colleges in America #1,098
- Most Diverse Colleges in Alabama #1
- Most Liberal Colleges in Alabama #6
- Top Public Universities in Alabama #8
- Best College Locations in Alabama #10
- Best Colleges in Alabama #11
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Alabama #11
- Best College Campuses in Alabama #11
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in Alabama #11
- Best Value Colleges in Alabama #12
- Best Colleges in Mobile Area #2
- Best Value Colleges in Mobile Area #3
- #628 Top Colleges
- #236 in Public Colleges
- #247 in Research Universities
- #156 in the South
College Factual ranked the University of South Alabama #5 in their Best Colleges for the Money in Alabama (2018).
Edited by sirI