Newman University (NU), a Catholic university, is a private, non-profit institution that officially opened in 1933.
The main campus is located in Wichita, Kansas with outreach sites in Southeast Kansas, Western Kansas, Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program consists of 58 semester hours or pre-nursing courses before the applicant can be considered for the program. After completing all the prerequisite courses, the student will go on to take core nursing course. All pre-nursing courses must have a GPA of 2.85 or higher in prerequisite and general education courses for consideration of acceptance to the BSN program.
After completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take the registered nurse national licensure examination (RN-NCLEX) and be eligible for state licensure as an RN. The Newman Nursing Program graduates consistently score higher than the national and state average on the licensure exam. For 2017, the licensure pass rate was 100%.
LPN to BSN
The LPN to BSN degree program is available to active licensed LPN students that have the desire to become RNs. This degree allows graduates to take the registered nurse national licensure examination (RN-NCLEX) and be eligible for state licensure as an RN.
Admission (not all inclusive)
- Successful completion of 60 semester hours of college courses or meets early admission criteria
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.85 in prerequisite courses
- Two reference forms
- Completed medical form
- Up-to-date immunizations
- Interview with Admission and Progression Committee
- CPR certification for healthcare providers
- Current license to practice practical nursing in Kansas
- Background check
Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia (MSNA)
The Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia is a program that is 24 months long, full time attendance. The applicants must be registered professional nurses that hold a baccalaureate degree. There are no breaks in the six-semester graduate program.
For 2016-17 school year, students passed their licensure exam at a 100% rate, and their clinical placements lead to job offers 100% of the time.
In the state of Kansas, Newman University’s Nurse Anesthesia program is one of only two.
The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) requires that all students matriculating into a nurse anesthesia educational program on January 1, 2022 or thereafter be enrolled in a program approved by the COA to award a practice doctoral degree. The program plans to submit its application to the COA for approval to award the Doctorate in Nurse Anesthesia Practice degree in May 2019. Pending approval by the COA, the program plans to enroll its first doctoral cohort of students in August 2020. The August 2019 cohort (application deadline of Aug. 1, 2018) will be for the Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia (update 7/1/19).
Admission (not all inclusive)
- Earned BSN
- Experience: 1-year (preferably 2 years) ICU experience (examples: SICU/ MICU/ CVICU, CCU/PICU/ NICU/Neuro ICU, Transplant ICU
- ER/ OR, PACU and/or Step down units do not meet the experience requirements
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Minimum GRE Score: 290
- Prerequisite Courses: For non-nursing BS degrees, a statistics course and a research course must be approved by the program; minimum grade of C is required
- Completed Statistics course that includes descriptive and inferential statistics
- Undergraduate nursing research course (or evidence of other equivalent research course)
- Unrestricted registered professional nurse license(s) in the state of Kansas
- ACLS and PALS certifications
Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice (DNAP)
Newman University plans to submit its application to the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Education Programs (COA) for approval to award the Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice (DNAP) degree in May 2019. Pending approval by the COA, the program plans to enroll its first doctoral cohort of students in August 2020.
Accreditation and Approval
The Higher Learning Commission accredited Newman University.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the Nursing Programs.
The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Education Programs (COA) and North Central Association of Colleges and Schools accredited the Nurse Anesthesia graduate program.
The Kansas State Board of Nursing approved the BSN and Nurse Anesthesia programs.
US News & World Report (2019)
- #128-#165 in Regional Universities Midwest (2019)
- #43 (tie) in Nursing-Anesthesia (2018)
- Best Catholic Colleges in America #79 of 165
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #202 of 599
- Best Small Colleges in America #282 of 997
- Best College Dorms in America #338 of 1,370
- Top Private Universities in America #384 of 975
- Best College Locations in America #435 of 1,553
- Best Value Colleges in America #501 of 1,590
- Best College Campuses in America #506 of 1,408
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #573 of 1,542
- Best Colleges in America #619 of 1,647
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #652 of 725
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #709 of 1,591
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #801 of 1,592
- Best Small Colleges in Kansas #3 of 15
- Top Private Universities in Kansas #3 of 15
- Best College Locations in Kansas #4 of 22
- Best Value Colleges in Kansas #4 of 21
- Best Colleges for Nursing in Kansas #4 of 9
- Best Colleges in Kansas #7 of 23
- Best College Dorms in Kansas #8 of 22
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in Kansas #8 of 22
- Best College Campuses in Kansas #8 of 21
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Kansas #9 of 22
- Most Diverse Colleges in Kansas #13 of 20
- Most Conservative Colleges in Kansas #17 of 19
- Best Value Colleges in Wichita Area #1 of 3
Newman University ranked #2 in a list of 20 "Best Colleges in Kansas” (2017) by Bestcolleges.com.
MONEY Magazine ranked Newman University #597 Best Colleges For Your Money (2018-2019).
The Newman University nursing program ranked #3 in Kansas out of 36 by RegisteredNursing.org.
Newman University ranked #2 on "Best Online Colleges in Kansas" by OnlineColleges.net.