Jump to content


Registered User
  • Joined:
  • Last Visited:
  • 78


  • 0


  • 848


  • 0


  • 0


sparticus2008's Latest Activity

  1. sparticus2008

    US Nurse - Jobs for Enrolled Nurses?

    That's a software package developed by Telstra to help hospitals with their patient flow.
  2. sparticus2008

    Ask me anything, Australian RN here

    no one else can tell you what to write in your selection criteria however a couple of tips. (Also Grad applications vary between different states & organisations) 1. Use the STAR format for answering selection criteria https://www.selection-criteria.com.au/starselectioncriteria.shtml 2. Find out any facility-specific requirements for selection critera (speak to the grad coordinator, attend info session etc)
  3. sparticus2008


    I can't say specifically what questions they will ask but things that are worth thinking about are: 1. Why do you want to be a midwife? 2. What is your midwifery philosophy? 3. What do you know about the current status of midwifery in Australia & any current developments? 4. What does woman-centred care mean to you?
  4. sparticus2008

    EN Grad Selection Criteria response

    I recommend using the STAR set out for selection criteria https://www.selection-criteria.com.au/starselectioncriteria.shtml 1. Discuss One (or a couple) incidents where you faced a conflict or issue & how you used conflict resolution, negotiation & problem-solving skills. "I was caring for a patient who was refusing to take any medications. I asked the patient why and they said they didn't know what the pills were. I explained to the patient what each of the medications where and why the doctor's wanted them to take them. The patient was then happy to their medications as prescribed" and so on ....
  5. sparticus2008

    Division 1 and Division 2 Nurses in Victoria

    Hello So to be dual registered as a nurse and a midwife you have a couple of different options. 1. Do a dual degree as an undergraduate at uni - this is a four year course, at the end you will have both a bachelors of nursing & a bachelors of midwifery. (RN/RM) 2. Do a bachelors of nursing (RN) & then do post-graduate studies to gain your midwifery qualification (these can either be pursued independently, or you can be hired by a hospital to do your midwifery training) 3. Go to tafe/college and become an enrolled nurse, then do a conversion course at uni to become a RN (typically 18-24 months) & then do post-graduate studies to become a midwife. Also, do you want to be a nurse or a midwife? If your main passion is midwifery you can also just do a 3 year bachelors of midwifery
  6. sparticus2008

    US Nurse - Jobs for Enrolled Nurses?

    I can’t speak for every ward but on my ward - the doctors send a referral tomorrow to any specialist or medical imaging the patient needs - May either be done privately or the patient may be booked to come back to the hospital as an outpatient. we send a discharge summary to the patients GP (primary doctor ) and advise the patient if they need to book an appointment with the GP. in terms of home services - depending on what they need this will be organised either by the nurse, the social worker or the allied health team . At my hospital we have a complex discharge team who also help for complicated discharges. On my ward as well we run an outpatients clinic - so we will often send patients home with outpatient MRI, halter monitor etc booked (which the doctor does) and then they are booked to come back to our outpatients clinic after 2-3 weeks for our doctors to go over the results. (This isn’t normal for all wards) The government funds different levels of community support - patients should see their Gp to get assessed for that package - sometimes we will assess for this in hospitals but we encourage it to be done on a primary care level
  7. sparticus2008

    US Nurse - Jobs for Enrolled Nurses?

    Under the Australia Health care system whilst EN's are responsible & accountable for their own practice they are not able to provide oversight of, or delegate to others: What this means in practical terms is that hold any sort of organisation/managerial role you need to be a RN. Because of the difference between the Australian Healthcare system (which is universal although private health insurance also exists in partnership) and the US health care system, I don't think that the kind of role that you describe exists in Australia - and definitely not at the pay rates that you are used to - for context the EN pay rates QLD: ~$62300 - $72300 WA: ~$58900 - $68068 VIC : ~$52400 - $69160 NSW: ~$55000 - $62972 As you have not been working in a clinical setting for seven years you may also find it difficult to prove recency of practice if APHRA does not recognise your work as being "nursing" - I would recommend contacting APHRA and discussing your circumstances.
  8. sparticus2008

    Australian degree nurse wants to work in the US

    Contact the local nursing licencing authority (unlike australia the US does not have national registration) and work out what you need to be licenced. Be aware that in many US states an Australian degree is deficit in maternity/paeds - and you may need to do additional study to meet licencing requirements.
  9. sparticus2008

    I am freaking out- US RN to start working in Oz

    Well if you get sent to FSH in Perth they use Pyxis for meds - otherwise its really not that complicated - they're in the cupboard in alphabetical order and you just pick them out manually. Again - paper charting, it may be less technology-based than what you are used to but it isn't that complicated - the paperwork is pretty self-explanatory/tells you how to fill it out - the biggest thing is follow the esculation criteria on the obs/vital sign charts. And don't be scared to ask for help - let people know you're new Ask your agency if you can do some buddy shifts to help you get a handle on the differences
  10. sparticus2008

    how often do you chart a note and PRIORITIZATION

    I document progress notes once per shift for my patients Even as a student on prac in ICU where observations etc were documented as a minimum once an hour we only wrote progress notes once per shift. The only circumstances where I have documented more frequently is Labour & delivery where we documented at least once every half an hour. The only times I document about other members of the multi-disciplinary team is when I have made a referral/escalated something to them - It is their job to document/record what they have or hasn't done for the patient
  11. sparticus2008

    US nurse wanting to move overseas???

    For Australia https://www.ahpra.gov.au/registration/registration-process/overseas-practitioners.aspx https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-and-Endorsement/International.aspx
  12. sparticus2008

    Second Degree in Nursing - US citizen moving to Au

    Hello So as an international student you will not be eligible for a commonwealth funded university position - so you will need to pay full fees upfront (Also if you come on a student visa you are not allowed to work more than 40hrs a fortnight) As you already have a bachelors degree you may be able to do a Masters of Nursing practice which is 2 years full time - The cost at the moment for full fee paying international student is approx $65000 AUD If you need to do a full bachelor of nursing then as a full fee paying international student it will cost you approx $116 000AUD As for doing study in the US and then emigrating 1. It is virtually impossible to meet APHRA (the national registration body) standards for a registered nurse with an ADN 2. If you are doing your BSN in the US be very sure that you get an accurate record of your clinical hours & that your university will be happy confirm these hours with APHRA - you must have completed 800 clinical hours in your training to meet APHRA standards (basically this is the biggest difficulty US BSN students have when coming to Australia ) So within Australia, there are officially only two types of nurses 1. Enrolled Nurses - this is a (generally) 18-24 month course conducted via TAFE or a similar training organisation (I think this is similar to like a community college in the US). EN's can further be divided into those who are IV medication competent & those who aren't, but IV medicine competency is increasingly common. ENs are employed over a wide variety of practice areas however are far less common in critical care areas (ED, ICU etc) and are more common in areas such as Long term care and aged care. ENs are also employed by higher numbers in private hospitals compared to public. At the basic bedside level there isn't a massive difference in practice between ENs and RN, however, there isn't the same opportunity for career develop - you can't move into supervising, management etc as an EN. Also RNs are better paid. ( I think an EN is the equivalent of a US LPN) 2. Registered nurses - This is either a 3-3.5yr bachelors degree (or less commonly a 2 yrs Masters degree) at university. RNs work in a large variety of practice areas. They have a greater capacity for career progression and are better paid than ENs. There are significantly more RNs than ENs in Australia https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/workforce/nursing-and-midwifery-workforce-2015/contents/how-many-nurses-and-midwives-are-there Australian registration for RNs and ENs is national, not state based, so once you are registered you can work anywhere in Australia EMPLOYMENT Graduate nursing is a very competitive market - the most common Job that new nurses get is a graduate program/transition to practice program. This is where you get a fixed term contract (generally 12 months, some are 18-24) where you are hired and work as a registered nurse (or EN) but receive additional support as a beginner practitioner HOWEVER these are hard to get, so for example in my state only about 50% of graduates got a graduate position. Once you are registered you can apply for any entry-level nursing position, however, it becomes a lot harder as most employers want experience. This also means that if you decide to do your bachelors in the USA you will want to work for at least 1 year (and preferablly 2) before coming to Australia, or else you are just one more graduate RN without experience looking for work. You will want to be an Australian Permanent Resident by the time it comes to graduating & looking for work, because if you aren't, you are not eligible to apply for graduate programs & you can't be employed by a public hospital (unless they can prove that there is not Australian citizen or permanent resident available to do the job) ...and public hospitals employ approx 2/3 of nurses in Australia.
  13. sparticus2008

    2016 US RN to Australia

    The cost of Bridging will vary depending on what deficits APHRA/NMBA require you to make up. But to get an idea. The Australian College of Nursing Bridging course is $14300 AUD The Internationally Qualified Nurse Program at Monash University is $14,950 Graduate Certificate in Nursing (Bridging & Re-entry) at Universty of South Australia is $13,500. These courses are based of you being Degree qualified. If you are diploma qualified you may need to either apply for registration as an Enrolled nurse rather than a registered nurse OR carry out further training in Australia to meet the education requirements.
  14. sparticus2008

    Psych Nurse From Canada to Australia?

    Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia - Fact sheet: Nurses with a sole qualification in mental health nursing, paediatric nursing or disability nursing
  15. sparticus2008

    Ask me anything, Australian RN here

    Hi There aren't not-for-profit hospitals :) There are either publically funded hospitals or private hospitals (which definitely intend to turn a profit). Pay-rates: Vary depending on the state, research the public award for the state that you are planning to move too. Workload: again this will vary depending on the state that you are in, as some have mandated ratios, others don't. It will also depend on the area that you are working in. From my experience Public is a little bit better at making sure that they get agency staff to fill the gaps if they are short staffed however again this can vary depending on the hospital. Education: by and large, public hospitals are better for providing Staff development nurses, developement option for staff etc. Because private hospitals are aiming to generate a profit, things like staff education can be slashed whenever they are having a tough year.