Two months ago, I was contacted about a job that I applied to, roughly 6 months prior to that time. And I was asked to come in for an interview.
Even though I was already employed full-time by then, I was still very interested in this other job and agreed to come in. The interview went well and I had a really good feeling about everything. But after not hearing back from them a week later, I figured they decided to go with someone else.
Then about 3 weeks after the interview, I received a call from HR saying that they were still interested in me, but had more interviews to finish. Finally after another 2 weeks, I was offered the position. But at the suggestion of HR, I opted to wait until after all my screens (drug test, background, physical, etc) came back, before giving my current job notice.
HR also knew that I would have to take a personal day from my current job, in order to get everything completed that they required. Unfortunately, I was not able to do so until 3 days after the job offer. Then I found out that the HR contact would be out that entire week (was informed by another member of the interview panel, when I was at their clinic getting my physical).
Anyway, it wasn't until yesterday at close of business, that HR finally called back and said everything was ok, and I could go ahead and give notice. They also requested that I let them know when I could start.
So naturally I had to wait until this morning to give notice. And it wasn't until lunch time that I was able to call HR with my start date, because I couldn't sit there on company time calling my new job. I didn't think it was appropriate, nor did I want my current employer to overhear me doing this right after I resigned.
When I got in touch with HR and told them when I could start (one day short of two weeks), the reply was that they would let the supervisor of the department I would be working in know, and get back to me if it was okay.
I was a little taken aback, because the interview panel specifically asked how much notice I would need. I said two weeks and they said they completely understood. And I also told this to HR when asked. So now that I am doing just that, it seems as if it might not be okay.
Other than the three days it took for me to get a personal day, I don't feel like I was holding anything up. I would think that if they had a deadline for me to start, they would have told me and maybe expedited the process.
And now that I have already given my current employer my final work date, I'm wondering what this HR person will come back and tell me. Am I reading too much into her comment?