I am a student graduating in June. The reason I posted this question in the nurse forum is because I need advice! Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place or if this has already been a topic. I searched and didn't find anything!
So. I am in my critical care rotation now and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Sometimes though, I get nurses who seem to hate having students! When I get to the floor, I smile and say hi to everyone. I find the charge nurse and ask which nurse I will be assigned to, and politely introduce myself to him/her. Sometimes (about 30% of the time) they smile and say hi back and happily assign me to a nurse. The other 70% of the time, they give me a fake smile or role their eyes and completely ignore me so I have to track someone down to help me. Then when I DO get paired with a nurse, she doesn't talk to me or let me help all day! The other day, I literally had a nurse look at me and just totally walk away. My classmates and I have also heard nurses talk about how they don't like having students. I used to think it was just me (do i look funny? am i not polite??) but then I hear ALL my classmates saying the same things. I DON'T GET IT!! What am I doing wrong?? Or what can I do/say to let nurses know that I actually care and am capable of doing things?
For the record, I KNOW that I'm smart and competent and have had nurses that talk about how helpful and knowledgeable I am. Not trying to toot my own horn, I'm just trying to tell you guys where I'm coming from. Sorry for the rant and I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on what to say/do :)