Jump to content


Registered Nurse

Activity Wall

  • akdennis58 last visited:
  • 20


  • 0


  • 1,796


  • 0


  • 0


  1. akdennis58

    Nursing in France

    For nursing books in French, I recommend trying Amazon.com's French website: amazon.fr. I just checked and found many books on nursing. Just do a search on "soins infirmiers" and you'll also find sub-sections popping up in the search window, such as surgery, etc. If you already have an account at amazon's U.S. site, you'll be able to use it there, it carries over. Good luck! Dennis US RN and certified francophile
  2. akdennis58

    Older nurse falling to bits

    I like the no lifting policy. I will be very interested in learning the policies and techniques used there (I hope to be working in the UK in about a year). We have lifts and "sliders" and other devices as well, and some hospitals here CLAIM to have a no lifting policy but in practice it's not 100%. Things are moving that way very quickly though, for which I'm thankful. Many hospitals here now have "lift teams," a crew with special training that roams the hospital to assist in difficult moves. My hospital does bariatric surgeries so, from time to time, I can have patients that weigh 300 to 400 lbs (~ 140 to 180 kg) or more, which can be very challenging.
  3. akdennis58

    Older nurse falling to bits

    This is an interesting thread. I'm 52 and have been a nurse here in the US for 22 years. I'm certainly feeling the aches and pains of this physically demanding career. So far, luckily, no on the job injuries. As many of you have noted, we still do alot of lifting here. Changes are happening quickly, however. I feel fortunate to be in a newly constructed building that was built with lifting devices in mind and each room has a lift mounted to the ceiling that are wonderful. These have only come into broad use in the last 5 years or so, I would say. The reason I'm on this forum is because I'm hoping to do some work in Britain and will be very interested to learn about lifting techniques and issues there. So, to cheshirecat I say, "I feel your pain." I think much of the advice the others have offered is good. Like here in the US, I presume there are many different settings for nurses and it may be time to find something less demanding physically and it sounds like you are already doing that with your move to an outpatient area. Good luck with that and, as the others have advised put your personal safety and care at the top of your list and use it as your guide in what type of nursing you choose to do. Best..
  4. akdennis58

    Geneva Health or Continental Travel Nurse?

    I'm in the US and hoping to work for Continental. I have not worked for them yet but my experience so far with them has been very good. They have been very helpful in the process of preparing to go to the UK and work for them. The recruiter I've been working with has been fabulous. I have a pen pal, a US nurse in London, who has been working for them and she seems to have enjoyed her time with them. I hope this little bit of info is helpful. Good luck in your search.
  5. akdennis58

    Nursing in France

    So the language will be the least of your difficulties then. Yes, that's what I've heard. I've heard that you would have to take an exam to evaluate your education in the field and that a person would still likely be required to take a year of training in one of their education programs before being allowed to practise. You should enjoy that website I mentioned; it's in French.
  6. akdennis58

    Nursing in France

    The information I have gotten in the past from others indicates it's very difficult for foreign trained nurses to relocate to France for work. My understanding is that it would require a year or more of training in one of their nursing programs and a very advanced capability in the French language. For informational purposes, you might try this website to start getting some info: infirmiers.com (I have no connection with that website other than being a member). I'm in the process of obtaining in registration in the UK so that I can work in England and spend some of my free time in France; sort of a roundabout way to spend some time there. Good luck.
  7. akdennis58

    soluset and buretrol the same?

    The generic name for the device is "burette," it's a general term, and burettes come in many sizes and forms. In a chemistry lab you may have used a burette to do precise measurements of a fluid to do a titration. This name is rarely used among nurses, and many do not know the term at all. The ones we use in health care for IV set-ups are generally known by their trade names and I have seen a third name in addition to the ones mentioned above. The names I have seen are: Soluset (made by Abbott), Volutrol (by Travenol) and Buretrol (by Baxter). I found this definition for a burette on dictionary.reference.com- "a graduated glass tube, commonly having a stopcock at the bottom, used for accurately measuring or measuring out small quantities of liquid." A medical supply company has this description of one on their website: "The Soluset Solution Set comes complete with a 150mL calibrated burette, injection site on the burette with automatic shutoff valve, and a Y-Site 6" from the needle adapter end. 60 drops per mL drip chamber." Hope this helps and I hope you get this as this is a very old thread. Can you tell I enjoy technical subjects? Cheers! :-)
  8. akdennis58

    International Nurses

    I'm a US nurse and I'm currently working on a plan to go and work in the UK for a while, and I've been communicating with two nurse on the UK forum. I'm sure they'd be glad to help. From the home page, click the "region" tab, then look for "United Kingdom (UK) Nurses" and just look around. I've been talking with Sharrie and lauritasol in the US to UK thread that has been going on for a long time. I'm sure there would be others interested in helping you as well. Good luck.
  9. akdennis58

    The future of Obamacare

    Message deleted.