I am still a nursing student, and an LPN, and about 3 years (give or take) from having a BSN, but I am strongly considering some form of military nursing. I am thinking Navy mostly because I love the water and the beach, but I have some questions.
I'd also be interested in knowing the same things about any other branch that has nurse corps as well!
I know I have to talk to a recruiter but I dont want them to sugercoat it so I'd rather get the answers from you guys if you'd be so kind:yeah:
1) My husband would be quitting his job as a state trooper to move wherever we are sent, is there plenty to do on base to keep him entertained? As I am not sure he'd be working because of all the moving.
2) What is military base housing really like? Is it better to live off base? I like the idea of having the tight knit base community but is the housing actually nice? We just built a brand new house and I would feel bad uprooting us into not-so-great conditions. Also are dogs allowed on base? We have one and he is a part of the family, according to my husband:icon_roll
3) What is the maternity leave like if there is any? We don't have kids yet, but we will try probably a year or two into the service committment.
4) What is your favorite part about the nurse corps?
5) Deployment - average length, time, are you on the ship or in the field?
6) What is the 5 week training period like for Navy? Also, is there bootcamp involved with the other branches (e.g. Army, Air Force)
Thanks in advance everyone:bowingpur