I've only been a nurse for a little over 2 years, so my experiences are somewhat limited. However, most (in the neighborhood of 95%) of the rude pt behavior I've experienced has been over things out of my control. Examples are giving pain meds early and allowing food items not on the prescribed diet. The other 5% have been a mixed bag of things. A lot of folks don't want to do PT after ortho sx and that can get heated. Explaining the benefits of ambulation over bedrest falls on deaf ears for some of those pts. More to the point, healthcare and customer service seem to be much like oil and water. They just don't work well together. In healthcare, the customer is not always right. In fact, much of what we do daily as part of our jobs is exactly opposite of what the "customer" views as best practice. For instance, non-compliant diabetics may see a candy bar as appropriate and so they insist that they should receive such foods. We all know, though, that will only hinder a positive outcome. Also, to compare healthcare to any other occupation where dealing with the public is a central component is illogical. What other industry would provide services regardless of a "customer's" ability to pay and still tolerate rude behavior?