I am sure that this thread will be long and interesting. For sure, the pay difference debate will come up, as will the idea that men being asked to lift and move things. Gender roles in a hierarchy, men lifting, etc... All hot topics around here.
But, I disagree with a lot of the premises. As somebody points out, the sources are nearly nearly 20 years old, meaning that the data used in those sources is likely older.
This would be true, if nursing was still considered a purely feminine role. I live in an area that would never be considered progressive. It is simply not viewed that way. People are used to it.
Not really. One armed, redheaded, transgender nurses are a miniscule minority. I think we are around 10%
The study cited relies on data older than some of my co-workers.
Does this come close to anybody's anecdotal experience? Anybody thinking this remains accurate- 85% drop out, yet the remaining 15% excell being paid on average more, more leadership positions, advanced certificatoins, etc...? Does that seem right in 2019?
Many? Sure, I'll buy that. Many people in this country also believe in alien abductions. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-survey-shows-nearly-half-of-americans-believe-in_b_59824c11e4b03d0624b0abe4
But, in neither case am I affected.
Sure, maybe every now and then. As nurses, you will deal with all kinds of weird questions and beliefs- part of the job. Some people believe vaccines cause autism, some believe the earth is 5000 years old. But, if hearing a weird belief causes a man to feel the need to defend his masculinity, that man should get some help, as he has a bit of personal development work to do.
As part of a team, I contribute what I can. While I am sure they are out there, I do not work with one woman who can lift as much as me. Realistically, they would have to be my size, or put on a backpack for a total weight of 185 lbs, and be strong enough to do pull ups. So, if you are a guy who is bothered by being asked to help lift and move, just get over it.
Similarly, if you are a guy who has a hard time taking direction from women, you picked a spectacularly bad career choice.
Again- where are these nurses now? In reality, I believe I benefit from male privilege. Meaning I come into a situation with some positive assumptions about me, simply because I am a guy. Most of the men who have participated in discussions on this topic find they are accepted, and most of the women say they readily accept men.
While I believe at some point this was true, I just don't believe it now. We are not a discriminated minority.
Beth- I appreciate your providing points for discussion, but I think you are off base here. Gender issues have changed hugely in the past 20 years.