This is a question for all of you who have started nursing as a second career.
1. What was career #1? Administrative Assistant
2. Are you happier with nursing as a career than you were with career #1? Yes, generally I am much happier because I've wanted to be a nurse for a very long time. Some days I still walk away shell shocked and think "what have a done?", but those days don't overshadow the good things that nursing has brought to my life. I love people and I knew I wanted to work with them even if it can be trying at times.
3. Did you get into nursing because you had a dead end job? Because you were unhappy with career #1 (although you had a good job)? I had a really good job during nursing school and I was making only a little less than I'm making as a nurse with a LOT less responsibility and a LOT more flexibility of schedule on work days. I absolutely HATED sitting at a desk for 40-50 hours a week though and I didn't get nearly enough interaction with people as I'd like. I also love the medical field and I love to try to put the puzzle together and give great care in my new profession.
4. Was/Is nursing as good as, better than, or worse than you thought it would be? Nursing is about what I thought it would be. Thankfully I knew what I was getting into from reading here on the forum. I think I had rose tinted glasses before I found this forum during nursing school. But even with any downsides like bad nurse/patient ratios and the occasional rude doc or horrible family member/patient I'd rather be nursing. I love moving around all day and working with the public. I love to care for people and to be rewarded with thank yous from patients and family members who've been touched.
5. Have you ever thought that you should have stayed with your original career? Was the change in career worth it? Glad I made the move. I still do keep up with the old company and do a bit for them each month. It works for both of us.
6. Are you higher up the career ladder in nursing or were you higher with career #1? About the same, I guess.
7. I don't want to start a discussion on nursing pay again, but are you happier with your nursing paycheck or was it better before? Yes, it's a little better than the last one.
8. How has your benefits been affected by your change in career, better or worse? Or not much change? Benefits at this job are similar to the last job. I thought that hospital benefits would be a lot better than they are. But they are adequate and I am thankful for them all the same.
9. What did your family think about your career change? Family supported me and wants me to be happy.