1. Why did you enter the nursing profession?
to help others and give myself an interesting job with a lot of different areas to work in
2. What do you like about being a nurse?
talking to people. being a part of the most vulnerable moments in others lives
3. What do you not like about being a nurse?
many patients and families don't understand what we do and how much thought goes into every decision we make. some think we just give shots and bandaids.
4. Do you think you get paid what you deserve?
I would always like to earn more. I took a $10/ hour pay cut when I moved to missouri
5. Do you think that nurses are respected by the doctors you work with?
I think that doctors respect me after i earn that respect. Alot of nurses I have worked with cower and give up their chairs when a physician comes by, I don't think this is the way to earn respect. getting involved in patient care, learning as much as i can about a disease or a medication, advocating for my patient in ways the physician has not thought about, and asking questions when i don't know things are ways to gain respect.
6. What do you wish you would have learned in school to help you in the real world?
How to pick winning lottery numbers
7. What is the worst situation you have ever been in?
there are too many to count. I try not to dwell on the bad ones. that carotid one sounds pretty terrible
8. What is the most rewarding thing about being a nurse?
genuine smiles from patients and families
9. Do you think new-grads should start in the ER?
I started in the ER. I think it was good and bad. There is a lot to learn in the ER. You have to know a little about everything. I learned quickly and got lots of experience with iv's, caths, etc. Working in an ER is hard. If you can survive there, you can do anything.
10. Are you thinking about leaving nursing?
Changing goals, I will soon start CRNA school. I hope to be a nurse for at-least 25 more years, unless I win the lotto.
I am 27 years old, have been a nurse for 5 years, have a bsn, have worked PICU, PEDI ER, Trauma ICU, and ICU FLOAT pool.