Jump to content
FromMNtoCA

FromMNtoCA

advertisement

Activity Wall

  • FromMNtoCA last visited:
  • 7

    Content

  • 0

    Articles

  • 85

    Visitors

  • 0

    Followers

  • 0

    Points

  1. Hey, all! I'm a new grad. I've been working as a med nurse for the last month at a 155 bed skilled nursing facility. Repeat: I've been working as a nurse for ONE MONTH. Tonight the charge nurse called out sick and I was informed I would be charge, supervisor of the entire facility, the ONLY RN, no administrators, no docs. I panicked and then tried to collect my cool. I had a fall, an admission, and a 911 call out for SOB. I had IVs and TPNs, all the while passing meds for my 26 patients. It was a rough night and bow that it's over, I'm looking for consolation. Does anyone know of a law or policy in California that allows me to enact safe harbor before accepting an assignment? I called the DON and told him I was not experienced enough for the role but he insisted. I couldn't decline it and walk out, I'd be charged with patient abandonment! What can I do in the future if this happens again? P.S. I submitted my two weeks notice.
  2. Hey, all. New grad here. As a new nurse in Southern California, with only a two year degree, it is impossible to land a gig in the hospitals. So, I accepted a position at a SNF/Rehab facility. About 60% of the residents live there long-term or are on hospice. The other 40% are there post acute care. I have been assigned to the most demanding med cart with 26 residents. And with 8 hour shifts, I simply dont have enough time to do everything I need to do. Pass dinner and evening meds, monitor blood sugars, check blood pressures, do rounds, answer call lights, chart weekly assessments, follow up on change of conditions, and assist with admissions and discharges. During orientation I saw sooo many nurses document assessments they didnt do, pass dinner and bedtime meds at the same time, and document bogus blood pressure readings and pain scores. There simply isn't enough time or resources to do everything correctly. Soooo many corners are being cut. It's in a less than desirable neighborhood and the company is known for being cheap. I feel so bad for the residents who arent getting the care they deserve. So many are neglected or their concerns brushed off because no one has the time to address them. I am looking for another position. It's been three weeks and I already know I can't practice like this. I have stayed 2 hours passed my scheduled time since I have been left alone on my cart. I was giving my last meds at midnight. Are all LTC/SNF facilities like this? Is this generally what nursing has become? Leaving the bedside to pass meds and chart? It's so disheartening.
  3. New grad here. I started working two weeks ago at a SNF, as a med nurse. Today the treatment nurse asked me for a Tylenol. I said, "Sure, for which patient?" She said, "For me, my back is killing me." I told her I didnt feel comfortable giving her some from the cart. She was shocked and gave me attitude! Later on I told her I felt uncomfortable about the whole exchange over the Tylenol and that as a new nurse, I am terrified of putting my license in jeopardy. She replied, very snottily, "Whatever. Next time I need some I'll know not to come to you." Should I report her to the DON?
×