Pediatric Rehab?

  1. I am wondering if anyone can help me out here. I want to there such thing as a children's rehab. nurse? Sort of like a rehab nurse found in a nursing home.
    I am currently a nursing student, and will graduate in the spring. I really want to continue my education, but I want to find an area of nursing that I will enjoy. I want to with with children or in ob. But recently I thought maybe there is a rehab who helps children after an illnes or trauma, accident, etc. get back to where they were prior tot he event. Possibly working with developmental tasks....that sort of thing. I on't know if this job exists, or if this is more of a physical therapist job.
    If anyone can tell me ANYTHING I'd appreciate this such a job, how do I get there, what kind of education....

    Thanks A Lot!
  2. Visit Klcross profile page

    About Klcross, ADN, BSN

    Joined: Aug '06; Posts: 4


  3. by   rnsusan
    I currently work on a ped rehab floor unit. We get children from infancy to 18 years of age. Most of our rehab patients have either a brain injury or spinal cord injury. The injuries can be a result of car accidents, stroke or abuse, etc. It is not uncommon for our patients to have trachs, and/or tube feedings. We do a lot of teaching with our parents regarding there child's care. We see a lot of improvement in a significant number of our patients, but only a few are back to pre incident levels.

    If you have any questions just ask.
  4. by   traumaRUs
    There are several nationwide places where kids go - check around your area.
  5. by   Klcross
    What kind of eductaion did you need prior to working on the rehab floor? Did it require any additional training or schooling, such as specific certificates or degrees?
  6. by   HopefulNurse324
    Does anybody know of such places in the South Florida area? However, I am extremely passionate about developmental disabilities.
  7. by   rn4lyfe08
    I dont know where you are, but in Pittsburgh, there's this great small peds rehab hospital called the Children's Institute. It was started over 100yrs ago as the Home for Crippled children and has now evolved to a rehab hospital, day school, adoption org., and has a Prader Wili Syndrome specialty unit. You should look it up. The site is

    You don't need any additional training. They will train you there. Essentially there is 1 charge nurse who does some assessing, gives meds, etc.. and everyone else handles most of the patient care. You will work with Health Care Workers (like CNAs), LPNs, and RNs. All are capable of handling a 4-5 pt assignment with the charge nurse completing the mentioned tasks as well as admissions, etc... The charge nurse schedule rotates between the RNs so you won't be "stuck" passing meds, but will actually get to complete patient care.

    They see everything from brain injury to spinal injury to ortho for CP kids to transplants. They even get failure to thrive babies and childrn who are a part of the functional feeder program. I really liked working there when I was in school.
  8. by   HopefulNurse324
    Wow that sounds like an amazing place. I will definitely look it up. I am in Miami and would love to work at a place like that. Thank you very much!
  9. by   llg
    You might also want to check out any large children's hospitals in your area. A lot of them have units that provide that type of service. They might not all be labeled "the rehab unit," but they do that type of work.
  10. by   MachoNurse
    Children's Hospital Oakland has a rehab wing. A cohort of students in my nursing program just did their peds rotation there and loved it. Good luck to you!
  11. by   Ethan'sLVNAuntie
    Hello Nurses,

    I know this is an old post but I was reading it to get information about Prader-Willi Syndrome and how to care for a very young children with it. If you have a story and would like to share it, please respond to my post. Thank you.redbeathe:heartbeat