L1,T11&T12 fx's Will I ever NOT have this pain?

  1. Sorry, I don't want to sound like a whiney baby but, here goes...
    I need some advice...
    I was rear ended about 3 years ago by a drunk driver who just didn't think about applying the brakes?
    Anyways to make a long story longer, I had 3 compression fractured vertebra, T11, 12 and L1. Two they said looked "old"? (cant remember ever breaking my back in the past though?)
    I think there was something wrong with my left hip too because I couldn't hardly cross that leg and still have pain in it if I do too much walking but they said the "1" xray that was done did not show anything there.
    Okay so the ortho doc said I'd be just like normal in about 6 months...
    He did repeat xrays that showed normal healing.
    Okay so here's where I need advice or? I just realized that it's been now 3 years since the accident and my back still hurts! It's like a chronic pain... I try stretching forward, backwards, twisting, bending, tylenol and motrin!
    I was going to make a repeat visit to the doc but... my insurance really sucks!
    Maybe a chiropractor would help? Maybe if I just have one of the big guys at work grab me from behind, lift and jerk that would help?
    What do you guys think? Am I doing something wrong or should I be doing something else? Anyone else have this happen?
    Any replies would be appreciated!
  2. Visit nursegoodguy profile page

    About nursegoodguy

    Joined: Apr '02; Posts: 1,749; Likes: 3


  3. by   kids
    I'm not an ortho nurse but darlin' you need to be seen and evaluated...I really think you need to be worked up by an ortho or neuro. You need an MRI and possibly a myelogram, the hip stuff you are discribing makes me think a disk problem at L4-5 or L5-S1 which would not have shown up on tie '1' x-ray. I know chiropractors can be a very good thing, I don't want to sound like I am down on them at all BUT I think when it comes to a situation like you are discribing you need the type of diagnostics they can't provide.

    I tend to get kind of freaked out over backs...I had a little bitty herniation at L5-S1 from bending over to open a narc drawer, thought it wasn't that big of a deal...I do occasionally talk about it here but rarely go into detail but lets just say that the end result for me has been 5 back surgeries, severe stenosis from T10 to S1, 1/3 of my life in a wheel chair and monthly appts at a pain management clinic (I am very grateful I am not incont. and I can work).

    See a doctor please.
  4. by   Sleepyeyes
    Ohhhh.... poor Guiseppe---

    I also have chronic back pain. And no, you're not a whiney-butt .... back pain is nerve pain and it's the worst!

    ((((feel better soon!))))


    Relax the Back: products/furniture for back pain relief:


    American Academy of Ortho Surgeons back exercises


  5. by   nursegoodguy
    Oops forgot to mention that the pain usually also extends from my spine into both buttocks but mainly into the left.
    I'm just pretty much thinking that I will just live with it?
    I really do try not to complain because I know how lucky I was to be able to basically walk away from that wreck! I'm just curious to get a few opinions...
    Last edit by nursegoodguy on Oct 23, '02
  6. by   kids
  7. by   kids
    Think about it! What would you guess a patient was discribing if they told you the same sx?

    Sciatic pain!

    Ya know I'm gonna be on your case about this until you see a doc, don't you?

  8. by   nursegoodguy
    I'll bet a good stretching would do wonders for me! It really feels good when I thrust my pelvis forwards and backwards in a... well sort of... motion LOL Yes when I am at work and my back is sore and I'm standing at my med cart thrusting my pelvis forwards and backwards and... Now I know how I got that reputation at work! Really it's for my back! LOL
  9. by   nursegoodguy
    Awwwwww You all are so sweet to me!
  10. by   kids
    LOL, when my back is really bugging me I arch as far back as I can then bend over and grab my ankles! (for me it hurts so much to bend like that so it is a relief when I stop)
  11. by   duckie
    Please see a doctor, you don't have to live with constant pain. I have had a spinal fusion. I had 2 herniations and one idiot doctor actually had the nerve to tell me stop whining and go back to work, when I nearly crawled to get into his office, what a moron!!! Funny thing, for something that was in my head, it sure quit hurting fast enough once they did the surgery.hummmm.....Please don't go to a chiropractor, I was told by the Doc that did my surgery that if I had chosen that route I would have most likely been confined to a wheelchair for life. Please see a specialist, get an MRI and then make your decisions. If your back hurts, everything hurts. I was in so much pain for over 7 years while workers comp. argued about how they wanted to deal with it, that I was dragging my right leg. This is not anything to mess with, especially at your young age. You have too many years left to spend them suffering.
  12. by   UKRNinUSA
    I used to have chronic back /buttock pain until I started doing yoga - then it miraculously disappeared, but since you have an underlying pathology and a 3 year history of pain you might want to try to get a referral to a pain management specialist. I would avoid a chiropractor - in my opinion an osteopath is a better option.
  13. by   P_RN
    1) No chiropractor PLEASE
    2) Pain is a call for help
    3) Bite the bullet and GO SEE A DOCTOR!

    It may or may not be related to the accident, but how would you know unless you are checked. I assume you didn't have any legal representation after the mva?

    Anyway, PLEASE go see a DOCTOR about this, ask for an MRI and or a bone scan. Something is wrong.
  14. by   LasVegasRN
    Oh, Giuesppe! I hate to hear your back is hurting you!

    I am not a fan of chiropractors, so let me say that first. I realize I am biased. What I'd recommend is a series of things - sounds like a lot but it will get to the root of your problem.

    First - the compression fractures. The best way to visualize fracture remnants or progressing is a CT scan. Remember, CT for bone, MRI for tissue.

    Second, MRI of the thoracic and lumbar spine. This will visualize if you have decreased disc space that may be causing one of the spinal nerves to be encroached upon (being pinched).

    Since this is a chronic pain you've been having, I don't think the course of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories will help all that much. But, depending on the results of your CT/MRI studies, they may want to try epidural steroid injections (usually a series of three). If the CT scan shows definite disc space narrowing or, what may be what is causing the pain in your hips - facet joint space narrowing, they should try a facet joint injection. If the MRI pin-points an exact nerve encroachment, a select nerve root block under flurouscopy (sp?) should be considered. These are your precursive treatments to surgery.

    In addition, it sounds like you would benefit from a back stabilization program with a physical therapist. It's a program designed to teach you posturing and therapeutic exercises to help stabilize your spine to help prevent the pain.

    An ortho surgeon would more than likely want to fuse your spine in those areas. I think would be pretty drastic.

    If you want to PM me, I can contact some of my case manager buds in your area to see which physicians and therapists in your area have had the best outcomes in treatment of chronic back conditions.