Finished LVN (LPN) soon and will move to Manitoba after, help how to become LPN there

  1. Hi, I will finish my LVN (LPN) Program here in Clovis, California in October 6, 2012.
    Me and my family will move to Manitoba, Winnipeg in the middle of October.
    We got approved for family petition, and will have to be there by Nov. 10, 2012.

    My questions is:

    1. I will not have time to take the NCLEX in the US.
    Is there anyway for me to just take the LPN test (CPNRE nursing exam) in Canada?
    If so, what is the requirement? What do I need to do?

    2. Can I transfer my transcript from US to Canada?
    I don't feel like going through the same things all over again, just waste of money and my time.

    Please help... just give me an idea what to do and how to do it once we're in Manitoba, and I just want to get in the nursing field.
    Oh ya... and I do have my CNA (California Certified Nurse Assistant) here.

    Thanks and have a wonderful day!!
  2. Visit meilinda888 profile page

    About meilinda888

    Joined: Jul '12; Posts: 2
    LVN Student; from US


  3. by   TheCommuter
    If I am not mistaken, the LPN program is a two-year college diploma program in Canada, so there's a possibility that your 12-month LVN certificate program may or may not be accepted there.

    I'm hoping that our nurses who live north of the border will come and chime in with their input soon. Good luck to you.
  4. by   meilinda888
    But the LPN program here is about 20 months.
    (not including the time we spend on the pre-req).
  5. by   Silverdragon102
    Only way to find out is check out provincial website. You can sit NCLEX in Canada as you may find a license in the country you trained is a requirement. Only once your transcripts have been assessed by the provincial college will the give permission to sit exam and if you don't meet requirements they will instruct you on what is required
  6. by   NotReady4PrimeTime
    The Manitoba LPN Regulations ( state:

    7(3) An applicant who received nursing education outside Manitoba must also submit to the executive director
    (a) written verification by the original jurisdiction in which he or she was registered, that the applicant was in good standing;
    (b) written verification by every other jurisdiction in which the applicant is, or has been, registered during the previous seven years, confirming that the applicant was in good standing; and
    (c) a signed consent permitting the executive director to contact current and previous employers for the purpose of verifying employment as a licensed practical nurse.

    Registration by endorsement
    8(1) An applicant currently registered in another Canadian province or territory may be registered by endorsement if the executive director is satisfied that the applicant has met the requirements of sections 6 and 7.
    A temporary permit issued by another Canadian jurisdiction is not equivalent to registration as a licensed practical nurse for the purposes of registration by endorsement under subsection (1).

    These regs go on to outline graduate practical nurse and temporary registration, wherein the key words include "holds current registration in that other jurisdiction".

    The CLPNM must be absolutely positive that those they register are eligible for registration where they obtained their education, and that they are in fact registered there before they are permitted registration in Manitoba. So not only must you take the NCLEX but you must also obtain registration in California.