New to PACU (looking for tips/advice)

Posted
by YNBSN95 YNBSN95 (New) New Nurse

Specializes in ICU. Has 4 years experience.

Hello! I just accepted a PACU position within my current facility. I have two years of ICU experience and am very excited to transition to PACU. My facility is not a trauma center but I plan to move to a trauma center once I gain more experience. I am looking for tips/advice as I start my new PACU job in a month. Thank you in advance! 

StudentRegisteredNurseofAnesthesia

StudentRegisteredNurseofAnesthesia

Specializes in Student Nurse of Anesthesiology. Has 6 years experience. 31 Posts

I was offered a gig in the PACU unit at the VA after I graduated from nursing school. It was the chillest job ever. Sadly, I had to turn it down for an ICU gig. I wanted to go the CRNA route, and the PACU wasn't going to get me there unfortunately. 

desert_MP

desert_MP, BSN, RN

Specializes in PACU, ICU, OR, ODSC. Has 12 years experience. 40 Posts

On 10/6/2020 at 2:48 PM, StudentRegisteredNurseofAnesthesia said:

I was offered a gig in the PACU unit at the VA after I graduated from nursing school. It was the chillest job ever. Sadly, I had to turn it down for an ICU gig. I wanted to go the CRNA route, and the PACU wasn't going to get me there unfortunately. 

Must not have been a trauma hospital. The PACU I work at qualifies for most CRNA programs. 

123GoToSleep

123GoToSleep

Specializes in SRNA. Has 8 years experience. 26 Posts

On 2/16/2021 at 9:55 AM, desert_MP said:

Must not have been a trauma hospital. The PACU I work at qualifies for most CRNA programs. 

Name 2 programs that accept PACU for admission. I'll wait for your response. 

desert_MP

desert_MP, BSN, RN

Specializes in PACU, ICU, OR, ODSC. Has 12 years experience. 40 Posts

54 minutes ago, 123GoToSleep said:

Name 2 programs that accept PACU for admission. I'll wait for your response. 

Each program is different. You should know this. The listed requirements are more suggestions which you would discover by getting in touch with different programs. Coworker was accepted into SIUE with no ICU or ED experience. It came down to how she scored on the GRE and her face to face interview. Another program is NKU. If you are wanting to launch from PACU, which is not preferable imo, find one that deals with your pressors and other long term gtts.