New Grad RN Question


New Grad RN Question

I am a new graduate nurse that resides in New Jersey (a compact state). I just accepted a job in Florida, also a compact state. Am I required to get a compact license, or can I just get a single state license for Florida? Today I applied through the Florida Board of Nursing & it let me submit an application for a singe state license. I don't think it would have let me if it wasn't allowed?

Home Health Columnist / Guide


11 Articles; 17,845 Posts

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion. Has 46 years experience.

Yes you can get a single FL state license.  After you obtain a drivers license there, you can then place NJ compact license on hold and obtain FL compact license if desired as want to work in nearby state or do telehealth.

susana942, RN

19 Posts

Specializes in ICU/CCU RN. Has 17 years experience.

Hi:) yes that's correct, you just need to apply to a Florida State license. One of my colleagues came from another state and she started working straight away. The hospital gave her 6 months to get a Florida License. 
Best of Luck to your new journey!!

Yes, if you have a  New Jersey compact license you can work in Florida with that license. Once you establish residency in Florida, you are required to apply for a Florida license (either compact or single state-whichever option you prefer) and give up your New Jersey compact license. So you can:

  • Have a New Jersey single state license and a Florida single state license
  • Or a Florida compact license
  • Or a Florida single state license

Some people don't like paying the  extra fee for a compact license; I don't think it is really that much more money.

And, if you haven't gotten a New Jersey license, it is perfectly OK to get a single state Florida license. Personally I think it is a great idea to get a compact license as there are now 38 states and 2 US territories in the NLC.