Jump to content

Compact license question

Posted

My tax home is not part of the compact.

But I recently obtained licensure in a state that is part of the compact, Missouri.

Now that I have a MO license, can I travel to other compact states without getting licensure there?

Nope, nor should your MO license say compact on it, it is a single state license. You need to reside in a compact state to have a compact license.

3 hours ago, NedRN said:

Nope, nor should your MO license say compact on it, it is a single state license. You need to reside in a compact state to have a compact license.

I figured as much.

Thanks Ned!

Jory, MSN, APRN, CNM

Has 10 years experience.

On 7/23/2020 at 6:56 PM, raindrop said:

My tax home is not part of the compact.

But I recently obtained licensure in a state that is part of the compact, Missouri.

Now that I have a MO license, can I travel to other compact states without getting licensure there?

It depends on what kind of license you have. Compact licensure states usually have it indicated on the license if it is single state or multi-state. I think where you live is irrelevant and that is probably state dependent.

6 minutes ago, Jory said:

It depends on what kind of license you have. Compact licensure states usually have it indicated on the license if it is single state or multi-state. I think where you live is irrelevant and that is probably state dependent.

Very dangerous advice. A valid compact (multi-state) license can only be obtained in the state you live in. Otherwise it is a single state license. To skirt these rules can lead to sanctions and reporting globally to all BONs.

Jory, MSN, APRN, CNM

Has 10 years experience.

On 8/18/2020 at 9:23 PM, NedRN said:

Very dangerous advice. A valid compact (multi-state) license can only be obtained in the state you live in. Otherwise it is a single state license. To skirt these rules can lead to sanctions and reporting globally to all BONs.

It's not dangerous advice considering it's written on the license you receive, what type of license you have. Unless you have personally went to every Board of Nursing in every state that is in the compact to personally research it..you have no idea what type of license each nurse has. That is up to the BON of each state.

Update for everyone.

I called the BON for MO and I was told the same thing that Ned said.

I’m getting a Florida license and on the application it asked if I want a compact license; I clicked yes to see what it would say next. On the following page, it wanted me to electronically sign a form that vouches I am indeed a current resident of Florida at the time of application, and it gave examples examples of what it means to be a resident, I.E., having your car registered there. The application clearly said resident is not someone who “plans” on living there either, at the time of application you must be an active resident to get compact, or there will be serious consequences.

5 hours ago, Jory said:

It's not dangerous advice considering it's written on the license you receive, what type of license you have. Unless you have personally went to every Board of Nursing in every state that is in the compact to personally research it..you have no idea what type of license each nurse has. That is up to the BON of each state.

Sure is. But the fact remains that it is easy to get a multistate license simply by applying with an address in that state and checking a box. That doesn't make it legal and the consequences if caught are severe.

Jory, MSN, APRN, CNM

Has 10 years experience.

On 8/26/2020 at 8:10 AM, NedRN said:

Sure is. But the fact remains that it is easy to get a multistate license simply by applying with an address in that state and checking a box. That doesn't make it legal and the consequences if caught are severe.

Again...READ YOUR LICENSE.  I don't think the OP said anything about doing anything dishonest such as listing a fake address.  So let's not add elements to the story that don't exist.  This isn't rocket science...her application above made it clear what Florida requirements were for a compact license IN FLORIDA.  Florida doesn't control compact the issuance of compact licenses in other states.  The individual BONs do.  

Again, your original post was dangerous. The requirements for a compact license are essentially the same for IN ALL COMPACT STATES, not just IN FLORIDA. There are no doubt many holders of compact licenses who did not do it dishonestly (by using an assignment address), don't understand the requirements (hence this thread), and do not understand the consequences of getting it wrong. READ YOUR LICENSE advice doesn't get you there.