Jump to content

Navy Nurse ED/Flight Nursing

Posted

Hi everyone! I have recently begun my career as a Navy Officer in the Nurse Corps. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with how to get my foot in the door as an ED nurse at a major Naval Hospital. I am also curious about the process to become a flight nurse or fleet surgical team nurse. If anyone has any experience with these things please advise, thank you!

I'm also curious about this! But I'm one step behind you--how'd you get into the Nurse Corps? I've been trying to get my recruiter to give me more information, but once I mentioned I take asthma pills for seasonal allergies, he lost interest in helping me. 

MyNameIsJeff, LPN, EMT-B

Specializes in ED/ Peds/ Occ Health. Has 5 years experience.

 

On 9/25/2020 at 3:10 PM, Kymmlin said:

I'm also curious about this! But I'm one step behind you--how'd you get into the Nurse Corps? I've been trying to get my recruiter to give me more information, but once I mentioned I take asthma pills for seasonal allergies, he lost interest in helping me. 

Well having seasonal allergies isn’t the issue. You used the word “asthma,” which will either stop process you at MEPS and make them request records, and possibly a PFT or just straight 3P you. 
 

So figure out if you have seasonal allergies, or if you have asthma.

Edited by MyNameIsJeff

3 hours ago, MyNameIsJeff said:

 

Well having seasonal allergies isn’t the issue. You used the word “asthma,” which will either stop process you at MEPS and make them request records, and possibly a PFT or just straight 3P you. 
 

So figure out if you have seasonal allergies, or if you have asthma.

I have allergic rhinitis, aka seasonal allergies. I was diagnosed with allergic rhinitis and prescribed Montelukast, an asthma medication that also treats allergic rhinitis. I guess the recruiter saw the word asthma and turned the other way. 

MyNameIsJeff, LPN, EMT-B

Specializes in ED/ Peds/ Occ Health. Has 5 years experience.

So did he actually submit the pre-screen for review? If so, then you'd have to wait until it's rejected and then give the documentation requested. If they never actually submitted any formal paperwork and you haven't been to MEPS, find an actual Medical Rep Recruiter, even if it' not super-local, and try again.

 

Oh and this time, just write Singulair and say you have seasonal allergies. Don't specify it's other uses. You're over here being too specific and being too detailed and that's not what they want you to do at MEPS. 

Trust me, I might have worked for MEPCOM before ;)

4 minutes ago, MyNameIsJeff said:

So did he actually submit the pre-screen for review? If so, then you'd have to wait until it's rejected and then give the documentation requested. If they never actually submitted any formal paperwork and you haven't been to MEPS, find an actual Medical Rep Recruiter, even if it' not super-local, and try again.

 

Oh and this time, just write Singulair and say you have seasonal allergies. Don't specify it's other uses. You're over here being too specific and being too detailed and that's not what they want you to do at MEPS. 

Trust me, I might have worked for MEPCOM before 😉

Ha, thanks for the tips. How can I find another recruiter? This person seems to be the only health professions recruiter in my area--all leads and contact points go back to him. 

MyNameIsJeff, LPN, EMT-B

Specializes in ED/ Peds/ Occ Health. Has 5 years experience.

There's 1,001 ways around this, if you understand how to play the game. Verbiage is everything. It can mean the difference between the reaction you're getting from your recruiter, to just asking for records, to a simple mention in the prescreen and the proper words in the exam and that's it. 

MyNameIsJeff, LPN, EMT-B

Specializes in ED/ Peds/ Occ Health. Has 5 years experience.

Just now, Kymmlin said:

Ha, thanks for the tips. How can I find another recruiter? This person seems to be the only health professions recruiter in my area--all leads and contact points go back to him. 

So that I'm not 100% sure of, although it being 2020, they're very attentive on their social media platforms from what I was told recently. So try that.

 

Ms. Nikki, ASN, BSN, MSN, APRN

Specializes in PSYCH NP, ER, ICU, PACU, NAVY NURSE. Has 11 years experience.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:08 PM, Kymmlin said:

I have allergic rhinitis, aka seasonal allergies. I was diagnosed with allergic rhinitis and prescribed Montelukast, an asthma medication that also treats allergic rhinitis. I guess the recruiter saw the word asthma and turned the other way. 

Have u had any luck?