Jump to content

Moving. Can I keep license?

Nurses   (268 Views | 6 Replies)
by texasnurs texasnurs (New) New

239 Profile Views; 7 Posts

I will be moving from Texas to a state that is not a compact state while my husband finishes school. We will eventually move back to Texas. I will not be working during our time away from Texas (it will be a few years). Can I keep my Texas license even though I will be living in a different state? Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sour Lemon has 9 years experience.

3 Followers; 4,494 Posts; 33,749 Profile Views

40 minutes ago, texasnurs said:

I will be moving from Texas to a state that is not a compact state while my husband finishes school. We will eventually move back to Texas. I will not be working during our time away from Texas (it will be a few years). Can I keep my Texas license even though I will be living in a different state? Thank you! 

Yes, you can keep a license in every state at the same time if you'd like to. Just make yourself aware of their renewal requirements to make sure you can meet them without working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

46 Posts; 720 Profile Views

Yes, you can keep your Texas license. Once you establish residency in a non compact state, you will need to contact the Texas BON. Your Texas license will then become a non compact license. When you move back to Texas, you can reapply for a compact license. I would be hesitant to stop working for a few years, because of licensure requirements, etc. Even a PRN position will keep your work experience up to date. Good luck with you move! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FacultyRN has 13 years experience as a MSN, RN.

175 Posts; 1,067 Profile Views

Yes! Your compact license will change to single state license. Texas does not require any number of practice hours to maintain your license. The only requirement is to pay the renewal fees and keep up your continuing ED hours.  If you do end up deciding you want to get a license in your temporary state, too, it won't impact your TX license. 

I want to say that you could also practice telenursing like phone triage, case management, etc. for a Texas-based employer regardless of where you physically live if you want to keep working with your Texas license, but you'd want to double check that.

You could also find a federal job in your new state with a Texas license.

Well, or you can just enjoy your planned break. 🙂

Edited by FacultyRN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 Posts; 239 Profile Views

On 6/6/2020 at 8:06 PM, FacultyRN said:

Yes! Your compact license will change to single state license. Texas does not require any number of practice hours to maintain your license. The only requirement is to pay the renewal fees and keep up your continuing ED hours.  If you do end up deciding you want to get a license in your temporary state, too, it won't impact your TX license. 

 I want to say that you could also practice telenursing like phone triage, case management, etc. for a Texas-based employer regardless of where you physically live if you want to keep working with your Texas license, but you'd want to double check that.

You could also find a federal job in your new state with a Texas license.

Well, or you can just enjoy your planned break. 🙂

Thank you for the information. If I get a single state license from Texas for the meantime, would I be able to change that single state licensing status in the future? Would I be able to get a multistate Texas license again when returning?  Or would it be better to get licensed in my new state and relicensed in Texas again in a few years, even though I likely won't be working? Thank you so much, I find this all very confusing. 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FacultyRN has 13 years experience as a MSN, RN.

175 Posts; 1,067 Profile Views

1 hour ago, texasnurs said:

Thank you for the information. If I get a single state license from Texas for the meantime, would I be able to change that single state licensing status in the future? Would I be able to get a multistate Texas license again when returning?  Or would it be better to get licensed in my new state and relicensed in Texas again in a few years, even though I likely won't be working? Thank you so much, I find this all very confusing. 😅

Yes!  When I moved out of state, I notified the Texas BON, so they converted my license to single state, and I maintained its active status while away.  I also had a single state license where I lived. When I returned to Texas, I updated my address with TBON and sent an email, and they automatically converted me back to a multistate license.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 Posts; 239 Profile Views

1 hour ago, FacultyRN said:

Yes!  When I moved out of state, I notified the Texas BON, so they converted my license to single state, and I maintained its active status while away.  I also had a single state license where I lived. When I returned to Texas, I updated my address with TBON and sent an email, and they automatically converted me back to a multistate license.  

That is great to know, thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.