Jump to content

Johns Hopkins Hospital Nurse Residency Program 2020

First Year   (6,244 Views | 130 Replies)
by Ludakris Ludakris (New) New Student

189 Profile Views; 7 Posts

You are reading page 8 of Johns Hopkins Hospital Nurse Residency Program 2020. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

21 Posts; 265 Profile Views

2 minutes ago, NewbieBSN said:

Thank you. How was the interview? Any more tips to add?

Interview was OK. The bulk of it was on past experiences (clinical/externship ) and also quite a bit of situational and behavioral questions. For the most part, the vibe i got was that they were trying to find out about your personality, your past experiences and why you think you are the right person for the job. Someone previously gave an excellent breakdown of everything. Only thing I will say is I think its not a bad idea to dress up professionally and changing into scrubs after. I flew in from out of state but still did my best to dress professionally/formally  and Changed into scrubs after. it wouldn't hurt you to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

52 Posts; 1,001 Profile Views

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone that's interviewing/accepted positions! I'm graduating in May and want to apply to the NICU but I can't find the position online. There's one that says Nurse Residency Program- various units but for the location it says Howard County General Hospital. Did anyone apply through that and just specify that they want to work at the main hospital? I'm not sure what to do because I really want to apply but I don't know how 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 Posts; 87 Profile Views

14 minutes ago, bhrn9 said:

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone that's interviewing/accepted positions! I'm graduating in May and want to apply to the NICU but I can't find the position online. There's one that says Nurse Residency Program- various units but for the location it says Howard County General Hospital. Did anyone apply through that and just specify that they want to work at the main hospital? I'm not sure what to do because I really want to apply but I don't know how 😅

When I applied to the nicu the job title was “New Graduate Registered Nurse - Pediatric Neonatal Intensive Care Unit” and listed JHH specifically as the location. I graduated in December so I didn’t see it listed until the beginning of October just to give you a rough idea of timing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

44 Posts; 1,287 Profile Views

28 minutes ago, bhrn9 said:

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone that's interviewing/accepted positions! I'm graduating in May and want to apply to the NICU but I can't find the position online. There's one that says Nurse Residency Program- various units but for the location it says Howard County General Hospital. Did anyone apply through that and just specify that they want to work at the main hospital? I'm not sure what to do because I really want to apply but I don't know how 😅

Howard County is a separate hospital, so you wouldn't be able to apply for that position and ask to be at the main hospital. There are a few hospitals affiliated with JHH, and they all use the same Job Search system. You can use the filter to request to only see positions at JHH!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 Posts; 46 Profile Views

2 hours ago, chrismyke said:

Interview was OK. The bulk of it was on past experiences (clinical/externship ) and also quite a bit of situational and behavioral questions. For the most part, the vibe i got was that they were trying to find out about your personality, your past experiences and why you think you are the right person for the job. Someone previously gave an excellent breakdown of everything. Only thing I will say is I think its not a bad idea to dress up professionally and changing into scrubs after. I flew in from out of state but still did my best to dress professionally/formally  and Changed into scrubs after. it wouldn't hurt you to do that.

Thanks! Good point. I will have to decide between the two outfits since I will be coming from out of state too. I am hoping it goes well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PinkyT3 has 4 years experience as a EMT-B.

17 Posts; 348 Profile Views

@chrismyke I see that you accepted a position in the SICU. I know that JHH requires a ICU senior practicum or experience on an ICU in order to apply for ICU positions.

How does your nursing program handle the senior practicum? Did you fill out the application before you finished your senior practicum in ICU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 Posts; 265 Profile Views

26 minutes ago, PinkyT3 said:

@chrismyke I see that you accepted a position in the SICU. I know that JHH requires a ICU senior practicum or experience on an ICU in order to apply for ICU positions.

How does your nursing program handle the senior practicum? Did you fill out the application before you finished your senior practicum in ICU?

Hello PinkyT3, I filled out the application in Mid to Late January. I graduate in May 2020 so I am currently doing my senior practicum/capstone in the ICU. I also did a summer student nurse externship in an ICU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PinkyT3 has 4 years experience as a EMT-B.

17 Posts; 348 Profile Views

13 minutes ago, chrismyke said:

Hello PinkyT3, I filled out the application in Mid to Late January. I graduate in May 2020 so I am currently doing my senior practicum/capstone in the ICU. I also did a summer student nurse externship in an ICU. 

@chrismykeGood to know! I graduate in May as well and won't start senior practicum until March. I wasn't sure if I should apply now or wait until the senior practicum starts officially. Did you happen to hear anything from JHH about what they prefer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 Posts; 265 Profile Views

2 hours ago, PinkyT3 said:

@chrismykeGood to know! I graduate in May as well and won't start senior practicum until March. I wasn't sure if I should apply now or wait until the senior practicum starts officially. Did you happen to hear anything from JHH about what they prefer?

I think it will be a good idea to go ahead and apply now if you know for sure which ICU practicum you will be doing. As to preference of ICU, I think its mostly dependent on the Unit you are applying to and also the managers preference of what prior or future experience they deem essential for the role. For example I have MICU and SICU experiences and that made me very competitive for those as I was scheduled to interview for both but was only turned down for CVICU after resume forwarded to the manager. My interpretation is that there were other people who had more cardiac experience than me and that made them more competitive for CVICU. My colleague from School whose experience is cardiac heavy got CVICU and SICU interview but got turned down from MICU. So for the most part, your experience will make or break you depending on the unit you apply to as I believe stuff like GPA etc doesn't count much as everyone applying is ultra competitive and has extremely good stats so that cancels itself out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 Posts; 46 Profile Views

Hi..Please can anyone recommend a good hotel close to JH?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 Posts; 46 Profile Views

33 minutes ago, NewbieBSN said:

Hi..Please can anyone recommend a good hotel close to JH?

Hi never mind, I saw an attached doc that included hotels and taxi vouchers in the interview email. However, if you know a cheaper one I don’t mind too! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 Posts; 75 Profile Views

The wait is over! I have been invited to interview.  🙂 Now I just have to pick my dates! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.