Jump to content

Johns Hopkins Hospital Nurse Residency Program 2020

First Year   (10,589 Views | 207 Replies)
by Ludakris Ludakris (New) New Student

226 Profile Views; 7 Posts

You are reading page 10 of Johns Hopkins Hospital Nurse Residency Program 2020. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

pharmaceuticalnurse2020 specializes in hopeful ED RN.

16 Posts; 204 Profile Views

On 2/4/2020 at 10:00 AM, peanutbutterandspoons said:

If anybody has questions regarding interviewing, onboarding process, etc, feel free to ask me 🙂 I've been through the entire process twice (I was originally supposed to start in December, but my RN license didn't transfer over until much later)

Hello & congratulations on your position!

Can you tell me more about how they choose applicants to interview? Like do they choose multiple people per position or try to find the best match?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pharmaceuticalnurse2020 specializes in hopeful ED RN.

16 Posts; 204 Profile Views

On 2/5/2020 at 4:14 PM, peanutbutterandspoons said:

They had an ER posting a couple of months ago!! What I learned about JHH postings is that, every unit will post hiring positions every couple of months or so. The ICU bridge program may have closed for now, so you might want to interview at other units and wait. My friend who's been at JHH x 2 years started out in the OR but really wanted to be in oncology. I think 3-4 months in, she saw a posting hiring in oncology, asked to switch, interviewed, and got accepted! It was an internal transfer. That may be an option for you in the future?

Awesome, thank you so much! I'll go ahead and apply to some step down units and go from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 Posts; 37 Profile Views

@peanutbutterandspoons hello! I was wondering what state you endorsed from, the time line for all the documents, and how long the entire process took! Thank you

Edited by Ybear5274

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

peanutbutterandspoons has 4 years experience.

19 Posts; 137 Profile Views

6 hours ago, pharmaceuticalnurse2020 said:

Hello & congratulations on your position!

Can you tell me more about how they choose applicants to interview? Like do they choose multiple people per position or try to find the best match?

Thanks!

Hey!! and thanks 🙂 I hope you will join the JHH family one day!

I know that first the recruiters will look at your resume and cover letter, and depending on if your experiences or interests line up for a particular position, they'll send it to the manager. The manager of the unit will then review your application and decide from there if by your resume and cover letter, you seem like a fit.

So I know that they choose multiple people per position, depending on the position. A lot of people apply to JHH!! I was surprised that after a couple of hours of a job posting going up, there were 5 other applicants interviewing with me the same day. From all the interviews I had, the interview questions were all really similar - they asked me about my resume, then asked me situational questions like "what would you do if you got into a fight with a patient, coworker, etc" and "tell me about a time you made a mistake / were under a lot of stress /etc". I feel like if you really vibe with the person interviewing you and they sense that you'll get along with other employees on the unit, then they'll want to hire you. There was 1 unit that I applied to as a backup option (terrible I know but YA GIRL WAS NERVOUS) and it was so obvious I did not have anything in common with the unit/ didn't know much about the specialty. However, I got along with the manager and my answers to her questions were more of the environment she was looking for, so she ended up offering me the position and told me I would need to study extra if I wanted to work there lol. 

Hope this helped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

peanutbutterandspoons has 4 years experience.

19 Posts; 137 Profile Views

6 hours ago, Ybear5274 said:

@peanutbutterandspoons hello! I was wondering what state you endorsed from, the time line for all the documents, and how long the entire process took! Thank you

So I'm licensed in a noncompact state (NY). I had to apply online to Maryland BON which took a couple of hours to complete the questions but processing took 2+ months!! ; do fingerprinting + background check in MD which took about a day to complete but processing for both was about 2-3 weeks. (I know that you can get a fingerprinting card mailed to you from Maryland BON, and get fingerprinted at your local police station, but that was too much of a hassle. That's why I decided to do it in MD.)

I ended up paying for a temporary license and a regular license together, which is convenient for me bc the temp license will allow me to work by the deadlines that JHH gives you. My temp license came after 1 month and some change. My actual LICENSE FINALLY CAME THROUGH LAST WEEK AND IT TOOK 4 MONTHS. 4 MONTHSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Maybe I'm unlucky or something?! The Temp license SAVED. MY. BUTT. 

...Maryland BON never picks up their phone btw... They are worse than Apple support. Also, be prepared to spend ~$200+ for everything total.

Thank you for attending my Ted Talk, sheesh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

peanutbutterandspoons has 4 years experience.

19 Posts; 137 Profile Views

On 2/11/2020 at 12:53 AM, alyssabravo23 said:

Hi! Im starting the march date also! looking to connect to others starting in march as well! 

Im starting in March also! 

@CWNursing

+ EVERYONE I DIDN'T MENTION STARTING IN MARCH

Y'ALLLLLLLLLLLLL WE START IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS. WE SHOULD MEET OR SOMETHING

AM I THE ONLY ONE NERVOUS?? ALSO DID ANYONE DO THE MODULES?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 Posts; 37 Profile Views

@peanutbutterandspoons thank you so much. I am also endorsing from a non compact and am nervous about time line. I submitted all paperwork and fingerprints 1/31, and will need MD at the end of april. California takes a long time to verify things as they dont particiapte in nursys... 

When was your license and temp posted online?  1 month and 4 months? Or is that when they actually came in the mail? 

I emailed MD BON and they were actually pretty responsive, i heard back within a day. They told me it takes 3-5 days for temp license and 6-8 wks for license. I just wanted to ask you about your experience to see how true that was! Thank you ! 

 

Edited by Ybear5274

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 Posts; 129 Profile Views

2 hours ago, peanutbutterandspoons said:

Hey!! and thanks 🙂 I hope you will join the JHH family one day!

I know that first the recruiters will look at your resume and cover letter, and depending on if your experiences or interests line up for a particular position, they'll send it to the manager. The manager of the unit will then review your application and decide from there if by your resume and cover letter, you seem like a fit.

So I know that they choose multiple people per position, depending on the position. A lot of people apply to JHH!! I was surprised that after a couple of hours of a job posting going up, there were 5 other applicants interviewing with me the same day. From all the interviews I had, the interview questions were all really similar - they asked me about my resume, then asked me situational questions like "what would you do if you got into a fight with a patient, coworker, etc" and "tell me about a time you made a mistake / were under a lot of stress /etc". I feel like if you really vibe with the person interviewing you and they sense that you'll get along with other employees on the unit, then they'll want to hire you. There was 1 unit that I applied to as a backup option (terrible I know but YA GIRL WAS NERVOUS) and it was so obvious I did not have anything in common with the unit/ didn't know much about the specialty. However, I got along with the manager and my answers to her questions were more of the environment she was looking for, so she ended up offering me the position and told me I would need to study extra if I wanted to work there lol. 

Hope this helped!

Haha I totally get that feeling. I applied to as many positions as I could (ya!), now I am being called for interviews in the units I am very interested in and also the back options. 
 

Do you mind sharing the unit that you knew was totally off for you? I guess it may not be same experience but I would like to prepare my mind 😄

So given that Maryland BON takes forever to do all the license transfer, do you think I should take the NCLEX in MD in May/June? Is that a safer and better option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notes95j has 1 years experience as a BSN, RN.

18 Posts; 117 Profile Views

9 hours ago, RNBSNMay2020 said:

Haha I totally get that feeling. I applied to as many positions as I could (ya!), now I am being called for interviews in the units I am very interested in and also the back options. 
 

Do you mind sharing the unit that you knew was totally off for you? I guess it may not be same experience but I would like to prepare my mind 😄

So given that Maryland BON takes forever to do all the license transfer, do you think I should take the NCLEX in MD in May/June? Is that a safer and better option?

They told everyone at my interview (we were all coming from compact states) to apply to our home state and then endorse to MD after we passed. I know 2 of us did that and 1 didn’t, the one who didn’t still didn’t have her ATT at the start of Feb, I got mine in early Jan. The process to endorse to MD is slow but at least I know I can practice under my VA license and there’s no added stress of waiting to test! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

peanutbutterandspoons has 4 years experience.

19 Posts; 137 Profile Views

14 hours ago, Ybear5274 said:

@peanutbutterandspoons thank you so much. I am also endorsing from a non compact and am nervous about time line. I submitted all paperwork and fingerprints 1/31, and will need MD at the end of april. California takes a long time to verify things as they dont particiapte in nursys... 

When was your license and temp posted online?  1 month and 4 months? Or is that when they actually came in the mail? 

I emailed MD BON and they were actually pretty responsive, i heard back within a day. They told me it takes 3-5 days for temp license and 6-8 wks for license. I just wanted to ask you about your experience to see how true that was! Thank you ! 

 

So my temporary license was up in 1 month and my actual license in 4 months! Yeah MDBON told me the same thing about 1 week and 6-8 weeks... yeah no... 

I hope it goes much faster for you! Maybe since it's not the holidays anymore, it'll be much faster? Good luck! 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

peanutbutterandspoons has 4 years experience.

19 Posts; 137 Profile Views

3 hours ago, Notes95j said:

They told everyone at my interview (we were all coming from compact states) to apply to our home state and then endorse to MD after we passed. I know 2 of us did that and 1 didn’t, the one who didn’t still didn’t have her ATT at the start of Feb, I got mine in early Jan. The process to endorse to MD is slow but at least I know I can practice under my VA license and there’s no added stress of waiting to test! 

Building off of this reply, if you are coming from a compact state, it is so much easier to transfer! Find out if your state is compact or not - if your state is noncompact like mine, I would highly recommend you apply for MD BON for a MD nursing license. You can take the NCLEX in your home state - the NCLEX is the same nationwide. It just depends on which state you want your license to be active in. At the time I was applying to take the NCLEX, I didn't know that 4 weeks later I would apply for jobs in Maryland lol. That's what I would've done differently and you save a lot of money that way too!

Also, lol I had applied to Pedi/Adolescent Psych and there were a lot of questions about ECT, etc... Literally an hour before my interview, I had read an article trying to prepare to know about ECT but it was so clear that I didn't (insert cringing face emoji hahaha)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 Posts; 37 Profile Views

@peanutbutterandspoons thank you this gives me better insight ! I am debating when/if I should add a temporary license. I didn't originally buy one with my permanent license when I applied in late January, because I was under the impression that it would come in a few days and I thought it would end up expiring by my start date May 4! I will reconsider adding one maybe in March or April to give me time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.