Job offer while doing other job interviews

Posted

What to do with job offer

  1. 1. What to do with job offer

    • 4
      Yes, to the job offer immediately
    • 12
      Let me think about the job offer for a couple of days while waiting for the result of the other interviews
    • 0
      No, to the job offer even if you would not know the result of the other ones

16 members have participated

HELP!

For example, if you have been looking for jobs for quite a while. Luckily you got a bunch of interviews, they either are days from each other or even weeks apart. If you all of a sudden got a job offer, what should you do? Would you accept it immediately or wait for the results of the other interviews? What if the first job offer is from a smaller hospital and less chance of doing other nursing specialties compared to the other one. What would you say to the manager when they call you for a job offer? Would you say "Can you give me a few days to reflect" or be honest that you are waiting for another interview result.

Do hiring managers look down on applicants that does not accept the job offer immediately? What if you turn down the first job offer and end up not getting the other ones. Could you call the manager back? Please offer advice.

I have to say that I am really appreciative that they are even calling me for interviews. Not just one at that. But I have to think about my family, job opportunities, possible enhancement of experience, etc. What would you do if you were me.

Thank you in advance.

  1. Say YES to the first offer
  2. Say "Could you give me a few days to ponder the job offer"
  3. Say NO to the job offer even if you do not know whether you will get a job offer from the other interviews

bugya90, ASN, BSN, LVN, RN

Specializes in Ambulatory Care-Family Medicine. Has 11 years experience. 565 Posts

Never tell them you are waiting to see what another interview brings. That lets them know they are second best to you and they may take that as you won't be loyal and rescind the offer.

Simply say I need a day to consider this offer. I will call you back tomorrow at X time to let you know my decision. Remember they are trying to fill a job and won't hold it for weeks on end. You will typically only have 1-2 days to accept the offer or they will give it to another candidate.

I'm in the same boat. I was honest and told them I was interested but still interviewing. I even had one place ask me to still come in even after I told them I accepted another offer. I decided to go. It seems if some place wants to move you up in the process they move quickly. One interview sent me an email about next steps later the same day (I accepted, just went to part 2 yesterday but they told me the process was long) Another interview stated I would hear from them in two day after at the earliest and definitely by the next week. I received that call less than an hour after leaving that interview. Another I had on Thursday, received a call about the next steps on the next business day. Right now weighing three options. I had a 4th option but passed.

Best wishes to you. Best of luck in your search

caliotter3

38,332 Posts

You could always operate under the adage, "A job in the hand is worth two in the bush". Accept the first offer. Play out other interviews and don't worry about changing your decision until the time comes, if the time comes, for a new decision. Not everyone receives multiple offers every time they apply for positions, so sometimes you have to take advantage of the offer when you get it.

mediwizard

32 Posts

Never tell them you are waiting to see what another interview brings. That lets them know they are second best to you and they may take that as you won't be loyal and rescind the offer.

Simply say I need a day to consider this offer. I will call you back tomorrow at X time to let you know my decision. Remember they are trying to fill a job and won't hold it for weeks on end. You will typically only have 1-2 days to accept the offer or they will give it to another candidate.

Thank you for replying. That is exactly what I was thinking and needed some validation. You are indeed correct that I definitely do not want them to think they are my second choice. Frankly, any job is a good job at this point and there will be no salary difference so that is not a factor. Thank you and I will definitely take note of what you said.

mediwizard

32 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I was honest and told them I was interested but still interviewing. I even had one place ask me to still come in even after I told them I accepted another offer. I decided to go. It seems if some place wants to move you up in the process they move quickly. One interview sent me an email about next steps later the same day (I accepted, just went to part 2 yesterday but they told me the process was long) Another interview stated I would hear from them in two day after at the earliest and definitely by the next week. I received that call less than an hour after leaving that interview. Another I had on Thursday, received a call about the next steps on the next business day. Right now weighing three options. I had a 4th option but passed.

Best wishes to you. Best of luck in your search

WOW! CONGRATS! How did you phrase your response? Did you mention that you are having interviews for the other hospital during the interview? If so, how did they respond. That is amazing that they moved quickly!

What do you mean the 2nd process is length? Do you mean the background check part? Do you have a previous nursing experience? Are you a new grad?

When you said you are weighing 3 options, what do you mean? I thought you said you accepted an offer already. Please clarify. It would definitely help me navigate this process. Thank you

mediwizard

32 Posts

You could always operate under the adage, "A job in the hand is worth two in the bush". Accept the first offer. Play out other interviews and don't worry about changing your decision until the time comes, if the time comes, for a new decision. Not everyone receives multiple offers every time they apply for positions, so sometimes you have to take advantage of the offer when you get it.

You are indeed correct particularly since it is hard finding job these days. I guess my dilemma is I am conflicted regarding how to approach this scenario since if I do decide to accept the smaller hospital, it would be a bit isolated while the other bigger one would be closer to bigger cities/communities which means more employment opportunities for my husband which would live there with me. I am torn on either should I risk not getting a job offer or take the job offer that would mean less chances of my husband getting a new job at that place which would cause financial strain in our family. It definitely is a struggle. It is still not even sure if I am going to be offered a job anyway but I want to smooth some conflicts prior to that happening. Thank you!

I was asked if I was interviewing and my reply was, "Yes, because nothing is certain."

Each place is unique in the steps required and I am going through the process on each as I said, nothing is certain. I am a new grad going for my first job and am going through the process with each because I want to make sure it's something I feel I can really enjoy and see myself doing for years instead of just taking a job for the sake of taking a job. All are entirely different areas and as I get further in the process, I may put the brakes on or choose to advance. I haven't gotten to the background checks yet. This is what I meant by weighing my options.

Each position has its advantages and disadvantages. I'm just not considering anything firm until I have something in writing. Every job I've ever had has provided an offer letter contingent on a background check and drug test. While each was discussed as a condition of employment, I am wary to take someone at their word. I guess it's the one thing stressed in school. If you didn't document it, it didn't happen. I guess you could say I'm waiting on my documentation. Hope this helps. :)

mediwizard

32 Posts

I was asked if I was interviewing and my reply was, "Yes, because nothing is certain."

Each place is unique in the steps required and I am going through the process on each as I said, nothing is certain. I am a new grad going for my first job and am going through the process with each because I want to make sure it's something I feel I can really enjoy and see myself doing for years instead of just taking a job for the sake of taking a job. All are entirely different areas and as I get further in the process, I may put the brakes on or choose to advance. I haven't gotten to the background checks yet. This is what I meant by weighing my options.

Each position has its advantages and disadvantages. I'm just not considering anything firm until I have something in writing. Every job I've ever had has provided an offer letter contingent on a background check and drug test. While each was discussed as a condition of employment, I am wary to take someone at their word. I guess it's the one thing stressed in school. If you didn't document it, it didn't happen. I guess you could say I'm waiting on my documentation. Hope this helps. :)

That does make sense. I thought you were officially offered the job. Did I interpret it properly that you were offered the job through verbal communication i.e. either by phone or in person. Now you said yes to all of them OR just say thank you for offering me the job, let me think about it OR you heard them say they will give you the job as long as you fulfill the requirements i.e. background check. It is for right that nothing is guaranteed until the contract has been signed. How long ago was the job offer? Are you only waiting for the background checks/tests results now?

You are indeed correct. I am thinking of this job for the long term whichever job I do get an offer in. I definitely do not want to just take the job that I might not like for years to come. Hence my dilemma of whether I do get a job offer on some of them, would I rather choose the one that is closer to other cities since it would provide a higher probability of employment for my husband. I might just be overthinking it though but I like to plan/think ahead so I know what to do and do not get frazzled at the moment.

Thank you and good luck!

That does make sense. I thought you were officially offered the job. Did I interpret it properly that you were offered the job through verbal communication i.e. either by phone or in person. Now you said yes to all of them OR just say thank you for offering me the job, let me think about it OR you heard them say they will give you the job as long as you fulfill the requirements i.e. background check. It is for right that nothing is guaranteed until the contract has been signed. How long ago was the job offer? Are you only waiting for the background checks/tests results now?

You are indeed correct. I am thinking of this job for the long term whichever job I do get an offer in. I definitely do not want to just take the job that I might not like for years to come. Hence my dilemma of whether I do get a job offer on some of them, would I rather choose the one that is closer to other cities since it would provide a higher probability of employment for my husband. I might just be overthinking it though but I like to plan/think ahead so I know what to do and do not get frazzled at the moment.

Thank you and good luck!

First, thank you for your kind wishes.

I was verbally offered a handful of positions. I said I was interested but still interviewing. One I declined because it was the same money as three closer jobs. Plus I used that interview as practice, knowing I wasn't interested in that particular industry. I verbally accepted another and told this to another hiring manager. She said come in anyway. I had a huge list of pros and cons for every position. Room for advancement, hours, benefits, tuition reimbursement, etc. That last manager who had me come in upped my offer by quite a bit. I had that position ranked lower until I went in for that second interview. Needless to say it moved to the top of the list for a lot of reasons. I signed their offer letter and am now in the background check process.

So in short, I was honest. Yes, the position interests me, but I've other interviews scheduled and would like the chance to meet with them before I make a final decision. After I accepted one by signing their offer letter, I sent out emails to the ones I declined, thanking them for their offers but I took the position I felt was the best fit for me. I worked as a CNA for a number of years. I applied to a position, went for a series of interviews, came in for what I thought was another interview, to have an offer letter put in front of me to sign. I gave two weeks to my other job and had some time off in between. Turns out the position was quite possibly the worst work experience of my life. I'm never getting stuck feeling pressured to sign something when I'm not 100% sure. I invested too much time in getting an education and passing the NCLEX to take the first thing offered. This might read differently had I only received one offer. I just feel very blessed.

Wishing you the best of luck in your search.

FolksBtrippin, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Community, Nurse Manager. Has 6 years experience. 2,055 Posts

It is fine to ask for time. Employers know that good applicants have more than one choice. Also, ask for things that will help you make your decision. Can you shadow on the unit for half a day? Make sure you have a complete picture of pay and benefits.

Rate companies by 1st choice, 2nd choice etc. If your first choice makes an offer, take it. If your second choice makes an offer, ask for time and then call your first choice and let them know you have an offer but would prefer to work for them... Do you have a chance? How long until you find out?

If a company will not give you time to make a decision, that is a red flag on how they will treat you as an employee.

cleback

1,381 Posts

I recently went through this. Had three interviews and one offer. I asked the manager who offered if I could have a few days to talk it over with my family. I also emailed the other interviewers and explained that I had another offer on the table. The other two interviewers didn't seem to mind, so I guessed I wasn't a top candidate and took the first offer.

Kind of stressful. Good luck with your search!