Working in Canada and the US - page 3

Just to clear up any misinformation that is being put out there by some agencies: Canada, as well as the US, require that the RN have a "generalist" training for licensure, not the "specialist" that... Read More

  1. by   suzanne4
    And to clear up a few things from earlier posts on this thread:

    Ontario now requires the BSN for initial licensure and they are not accepting Diploma training or the ADN training. Things have changed and requirements have changed as well.

    And what happened in the past is not what is happening there now. If one got licensed in the past, great. But that is not going to be happening now and that is where the focus should be.

    One has to meet the requirements of the specific province, they do not have to meet yours.
  2. by   brissygal
    The previous post from English Nurse is correct. Get your transcript and then you will know if you meet the criteria.

    I went to Uni at Southern Cross University in Lismore NSW, and my hours in all areas of nursing was received by the California Board in the USA. I did not need to make up extra hours at all. Although I do know that a few friends who trained at QUT in Brisbane - had to do extra hours in maternity and peads before they left Australia.

    I hope this helps. I have nursed in the USA and contemplating on going again. I am happy to help in way I can.

    By the way "Misswoosie" I am currently doing my Masters in Public Health here in Qld - hoping to give me the edge but not sure it is going to be advantageous in the USA anyway.
  3. by   onatihne13
    at the moment i'm in UK but planning to migrate in Canada but heard from some of my friends that some provinces in Canada don't accept graduates from the it true??thanks
  4. by   Silverdragon102
    I wouldn't say it is not true as a lot will depend on your transcripts and that the province requires.