Which is better: UK, Australia or New Zealand student visa?

  1. Hi!

    There's a lot of buzz with this new scheme of sending out nurses to "study and work" in UK, Australia and New Zealand through student visas. But there are clouds of doubt with regards to the 'real working conditions" in those said countries are what those visa placement agencies claim them to be.

    I was enticed by the program for UK. It was even on the news last night (ABS-CBN). I was skeptical since they accept even undergrads, Practical Nurses and midwives. So, if i really work there (UK) as RN, why in the world would they accept undergrads?!

    A quick look over at some internet forum sites opened my eyes. In UK, going there though these student visa scheme, you wouldn't work there as a nurse, but rather as a caregiver (with paid working hours up to 20 hours/week, as this is a requirement of the course). AND with NO GUARANTEE of staying there (or even getting a permit to work) after the entire duration of the course is over.

    So my question is this: Is the Australia and New Zealand student visa schemes similar to UK?
    If not, how do they differ?
    If yes, which is better?
    I would like to solicit the advice of those Filipino nurses who are already in the UK, Australia and NZ.

    An informative reply would be very much appreaciated. :wink2:
  2. Visit ladygie24 profile page

    About ladygie24

    Joined: Jul '08; Posts: 35; Likes: 4


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    Moved to the International forum
  4. by   Silverdragon102
    This is something that we have said for a long time. Working as a caregiver will not count as nursing experience. As a caregiver it is hard to meet work permit requirements in the UK as there really is no shortage of carers especially at the moment when the UK has a high unemployment rate. I have a friend in the UK who has just lost her job and in 1 week she has applied to over 80 jobs and isn't expecting to hear anything but needs to work, bills to pay.
  5. by   iamnomad
    With the present economic and immigration issues in the UK, it is almost impossible to convert your student visa to working visa. And being a student living in one of the world's most expensive city, a carer's salary may not be enough.

    Australia has a different scenario, though. They allow an individual with student visa, after staying/studying in Australia for a period of time, to change their status from student to working visa. There are a lot of requirements to be done, but very possible.

    What I've been reading is, if you are an undergrad in Nursing, or you do not have a license in your home country, then they (the agency) will enroll you to a Bachelor in Nursing (the one intended for degree holders, or with nursing degree but have no license), making you eligible to register with any nursing board in Australia. And it's quite expensive. The duration of the program is 2-3 years.

    I don't have knowledge on NZ's immigration policy.

    Good Luck!
  6. by   ladygie24
    Thanks Silverdragon and Iamnomad. :wink2:

    Silverdragon: I've read some threads on these student visa schemes, particularly UK student visa. The UK scheme i described earlier when i posted this thread pertains to acquiring an NVQ (National Vocational Qualification) certificate wherein the student will work as a caregiver in UK. However, i found out recently that ISA (International stdent advisors) offers another program called Student Work Placement Scheme, in partnership with Anglia Ruskin University and University of Hertfordshire, offering a UK degree of BSC in Health and Social Care (Anglia Ruskin University) or a BSc (Hons) International Nursing (University of Hertfordshire). I checked out the sites of these universities and they're legit.

    If anyone here in the Allnurses community who know someone who had undergone the course (ISA's Student Work Placement Scheme) , or perhaps, had undergone it themselves, and could help me shed some light on this matter, it would be very much appreciated.
  7. by   Silverdragon102
    But even as a student it will not count as nurse experience and will not meet UK work permit requirements. Jobs are supposed to go to UK then EU before the rest of the world and I know that jobs t the moment is hard in the UK and have heard from several family members and friends that they are struggling
  8. by   Aelith
    Actually, what you have to take into consideration is not just what you're going to study while you're there but more importantly, what will happen to you after you study the said courses. In UK, it is very hard to change your status after you have studied - My friend is doing her Master's degree and she showed me how points are computed for her to be eligible to change her visa to working (it seems like those with higher degrees and/or with specialties stand a good chance). She also said caregivers don't earn much and it will be very hard for them to budget their money with the daily expenses as everything is really expensive.

    In Australia, if you are going to study for at least 2 years (esp if it's an RN course), then you are eligible for a PR visa or a Skilled Graduate (temporary) visa after you have finished your course. In addition, you are also for the Temporary visas for Skilled Workers (457) which will enable you to apply for PR status also after a year or two. Also, the cost of living is far more better compared to UK.

    I am not so sure how it goes with NZ.

    I suggest you do a lot of research in what they offer. Remember, these agencies will do whatever they can to convince people that things will really be good in the end - just be very careful.
  9. by   Silverdragon102
    The UK are looking for skilled workers and carers do not come under that umbrella. Anyone can say they are legit but they have no control over work permits that it at the discretion of the government
  10. by   5cats
    The sites might be legit, but in my opinion the program is rubbish, doesn't get you anywhere, a useless degree. What they try to do is getting people in to earn money with them, and use them a cheap carers under the "student umbrella".
    And as everybody here is saying, carers do earn nothing in the UK. So be careful what you get yourself into.
  11. by   ladygie24
    thanks again
    Aelith, thanks for the informative reply. I guess, i now have to set off my sights someplace else - Australia, perhaps - where there's a guarantee that i'll be working as as RN after 2 yrs study.
  12. by   Aelith
    Quote from ladygie24
    thanks again
    Aelith, thanks for the informative reply. I guess, i now have to set off my sights someplace else - Australia, perhaps - where there's a guarantee that i'll be working as as RN after 2 yrs study.
    You're welcome. Feel free to ask more questions regarding Australia - you can PM me if you want.
    Good luck dear~
  13. by   ladygie24
    to aelith:still can't PM anyways, should i decide to study in Australia, will i be able to, at least, fund my expenses there (accommodations, food, transpo) by working part-time?? The tuition fee for the 2-year cost is way too high approximately 600 K php a year.
  14. by   Silverdragon102
    You need 15 or more posts to be able to send a pm