Nursing titles

  1. im curious as to wat titles other countries have for their enrolled australia we have registered nurses and those with specialties and then we have enrolled nurses followed by personal care workers (nurse assistants in the older years).

    sorry if its already been asked b4 but this is my first thread and time i have had since i joined for doing this. I have just finished our diploma of nursing ( post enrolment) course which is the new course for our certificate IV in nursing (enrolled Nursing). so i just wanted to add my worth
  2. Visit shazibabe profile page

    About shazibabe

    Joined: Feb '07; Posts: 8


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    Hi and welcome to the site

    In the UK the name has changed from EN to Registered Nurse level 2 but haven't been trained in over a decade although still some employed by local authoities. I was an EN(G) trained in 1986 and did the conversion course in 1999 although it feels much longer
  4. by   tetitto
    In Mexico we have

    Rgistered Nurse that have ahd their education as follow:

    After High School three yearsof nursing education plus one year of social service this nurse has the title of Nurse technician.

    After High school four years of nursing education plus one year social service this nurse holds the title of Bachelor Sciene of Nursing and in some school they have a minor in Midwifery.

    Then after nursing education we can do one year of nursing speciality and get a certification.

    Or we can go for two or three years master degree in Nursing, nurse educator, public health, health's economics, nursing managing,

    And then you can go for your PhD in nursing or education.
  5. by   shazibabe
    thanx for the info but that still doesnt really tell me what the diff titles of nursing staff are: eg ENG is our enrolled general nurse which is 18 months training and then we have our RN is a registered nurse and then they go on to other training if they wish to specialise in a specific field of nursing ens can go into specialised nursing within their scope of practice too................the pca is a personal care assistant aka nurse assistant they only have a certificate in aged care or disabilities and can only work in nursing homes or disabled homes, they do not work in our hospitals unless they are asked to do a special which is just supervision of a client whilst in hospital but only do basic adl care and other treatments/ procedures are performed by a enrolled nurse and the registered nurse. The enrolled nurse is accountable but the registered nurse is responsible and the senior nurse on the wards
    Last edit by shazibabe on May 10, '07
  6. by   suzanne4
    In the US, we have LPN which is similar to the EN, and can be anywhere from one year to about 18 months of training. Registered Nurse, that can be accomplished by going thru a Diploma Program, and also two year Associate degree or ADN, but that has about a year of pre-reqs before you get admitted, or the BSN which is four years. All three of those permit the nurse to write the same NCLEX-RN exam and get the title of RN after their name.

    In the US, if the nurse trains in the US, then the two year program is accepted. However if the nurse trains out of the US and wishes to work in the US, they need at least the three year program from Australia or the UK to work in the US. For countries that only have the BSN, they must have that certification.
  7. by   shazibabe
    ahhhhhhhhh ok so i have to be a registered nurse to work in the us as thats our 3 year training course here (bachalor of nursing its called) ty for the clarification.

    Also what is the exact name for lpn, bsn and adn pls
    Last edit by shazibabe on May 10, '07
  8. by   Silverdragon102
    this might help, just add abbreviations
  9. by   suzanne4
    Yes, you must have minimum of a three year degree from Australia to be able to work in the US and have RN after your name. But it does not stop there. The US requires that each and every nurse that is licensed in the US have training in all of the required areas. And this means Maternal Health/Peds/Mental Health. Even if you are never going to work in these areas you still need to have the required clinical and theory hours in an approved school of nursing.

    There are already several threads about the requirements that the Aussie nurses need to work in the US. As well as the Primer at the top of this forum.
  10. by   suzanne4
    A BSN is a four year program, not usually the three year. And there are both offered in Australia.

    Three year program is not called the Bachlors.
  11. by   elmar22
    Quote from suzanne4
    A BSN is a four year program, not usually the three year. And there are both offered in Australia.

    Three year program is not called the Bachlors.
    I haven't heard of a four year Bachelor's degree in Nursing offered here in Australia. Most universities here offer the three year Bachelor of Nursing (BN). In fact, some universities here are now offering a fast-tracked two-year Bachelor of Nursing. Note that it is not called Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) because most science subjects here in Australia are taken in years 11 and 12 in high school. That means that when you go into the university, you will get all nursing subjects...right from first year (we had our clinicals in first year - compare this to students from other countries who get their clinicals on their third year after their so called "capping ceremonies") - no chemistry...physics...and other useless non-nursing subjects. In Australia, they assume that you know all these things in the university. In other countries, they put all the unnecessary non-nursing subjects for the first two years like taxation, religion, english...etc. They might have the so called "four-year nursing" degree BSN but they actually have less nursing subjects..I have known this fact from experience.
  12. by   suzanne4
    But that is not a BSN and does not translate to the BSN in the US. That is my point. It is most similar to the three year degree program that is in the UK. It is not the same as the four year BSN that we have in the US.

    You must have at least the three year degree from Australia to work in the US, but it is not counted as the equivalent of the BSN here.

    And there is still a difference in the science courses when you take them at the high school level, that is why it is not the same as the BSN. And more course work would need to be done to get into the MSN program. I am just pointing out that there are differences. And I do know of some nurses that did go thru a four year program in Australia, whether or not they still have them, not sure but they did exist.
    Last edit by suzanne4 on May 10, '07
  13. by   elmar22
    Quote from suzanne4
    And there is still a difference in the science courses when you take them at the high school level, that is why it is not the same as the BSN.
    I believe it has something to do with the curriculla of high schools and universities here in Australia. Here, students start to decide what course or degree they intend to enrol in the university in year 11 of high school. When they decide to get a science related degree, they concentrate on advanced science courses at years 11 & 12 like physics, chemistry, mathematics (two years of science subjects in the final year aside from taking the basic science courses in their lower years) and they will be examined on these courses in their final year in high school (In the US, you have the SAT-a general knowledge New South Wales, Australia there is the HSC where students are examined on their specialty subjects)..So a high school graduate who has chosen to specialise in mathematics, physics, and chemistry in his/her final two years of high school has learned a considerable amount of knowledge in these areas and they can enrol in science degrees depending on their university admission index (UAI). That is why they are no longer included in the university subjects. In effect, Bachelor of Nursing in Australia is equivalent to a "five-year" degree. (To give you an idea --my wife finished her Bachelor of Science in Biology from another country but she had difficulty answering the HSC questions for Biology final year high school students here).
  14. by   suzanne4
    The US does not recognize any coursework that was done specifically in a high school. That is just how they do things here, especially with nursing. There are some LPN programs now that are being offered with some high school programs as their vocational training. But that is it.

    Even there was a big issue a few years ago with the nurses that were coming out of China as they took the RN program when they were in HS, and the US requires that it be done after HS.

    I was actually in an Advanced Science program when I was in high school that was definitely harder than some of my university courses. But still did not get credit for them as being uni courses.

    Unless the classes that were actually taken were given college credit for them, then they are not accepted in the US in terms of nursing and an evaluation of the curriculum. That is what I am basing things on.

    And a program that was three years in any country is not considered the same as the BSN in the US, no matter what the set-up is in terms of completing any coursework while in high school. The actual science courses that are offered for the nursing track are not the same as the ones for pre-med or pre-denistry, etc. They are completely different and most nursing programs do not require Organic Chemistry with its lab, or Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy, which most that have gotten the BS in Biology have. And I have that degree as well.

Must Read Topics