nursing practise in canada - page 2

Hi every one.I am happy:lol2: that at last i could join this site after several attempt to register.I have found this site quite informative and the discussions enlightening.Am happy that nurses care... Read More

  1. by   abiola07
    Thanks every one for your contribution to my question.I got in touch with an agency who said getting a job in BC is somehow uneasy and that i could transfer my registration to the college of RN in Alberta since there are better prospects there.I would like to know the possibility of this and if it is adviceable considering the fact that am yet to write CRNE and still awaiting confirmation of my eligibility to practise in canada.
    Am a bit unhappy about the information on job opportunities in BC for immigrant nurses esp those yet to write CRNE.I am still trying to get an employer ,so once my eligibility is confirmed i can apply to the organisation.Would really appreciate any link up with an employer in BC who recruit international nurses on temp license.
  2. by   abiola07
    hello,i would like to know about your progress in BC and job opportunities.I am awaiting my eligibility to practise from BC .The information i heard about BC is not too encouraging but am bent on working there since i 've started registration with CRNBC.Am hoping that i would get an employer with a temp license and be able to migrate to canada.
  3. by   NotReady4PrimeTime
    The process in Alberta is the same as it is in BC. It takes a minimum of a year to satisfy the documentation and competency requirements. There are serious nursing shortages all over Canada, but there are no shortcuts to a Canadian nursing license. To obtain a Canadian nursing license anywhere you have to write the CRNE and if English isn't your first language you then have to pass several exams demonstrating fluency in English. Temporary licenses are available under certain circumstances, but the only way you will find out if you qualify is to contact the regulatory body of the province where you wish to apply. There are links to the colleges of nursing for most provinces at the top of the Canadian Nurses forum home page, as suzanne4 said 6 posts back. Your best advice and information source will be the College. I would advise that you get the information in writing so you can refer back to it as many times as you need to.
  4. by   RGN1
    That's good advice above - heed it!

    So is Suzanne's - it always is - & you guys should read it carefully! To work in another country is not something that should be decided upon lightly, there are no "quick fixes" and there are many agencies who are after their "fast buck" at your expense.

    Done correctly it could be the best move you ever made but done incorrectly & you could be entering a nightmare.

    It is true that Alberta are hiring at the moment. You can start working while waiting for your CRNE, once you have the requisite permits etc from CARNA (the equivalent of a US nursing board.) Your job title from then will be "graduate nurse" & your salary will be about half of an RN salary, going on the information I've been given, which is not from an agency.

    However, please,please read the good advice again from the above poster & Suzanne!
  5. by   ubani
    Does anyone has any information on employers willing to hire IENs in BC with temporary licence and provide 250 supervised clinical hours? I have been searching for one in the past 5 months. Please help!!
  6. by   NotReady4PrimeTime
    As soon as BC has been able to hire all of the nurses from BC who are still looking for work, and hired all the IENs who already have their supervised clinical hours, there may be an employer willing to take on an IEN with only a temp license for the supervision period. It may take a long time. The problem is that every province will try to balance their budgets through cutting funding to health care. And when there are cuts to health care, nurses and ancillary staff aren't hired into vacancies. Local graduates are forced to work in temporary or casual positions and can't pay their bills. When things improve they should be the first ones to benefit.
  7. by   ubani
    Thanks for your response.
    This is like a bottle-neck. Can I then go to another province to get these 250 clinical hours done instead of waiting indefinitely in BC, not knowing what the future holds?
  8. by   NotReady4PrimeTime
    Probably not. BC is the only province that requires the 250 hours of supervised practice. And none of the other provinces are really hiring right now either. The economy is struggling everywhere. You do have the advantage of being provisionally licensed so you could be registered in other provinces, but being registered doesn't mean a job.
  9. by   ubani
    Janfrn, Thanks a lot for the response.