Mount Royal College - Bridge to CAnadian Nursing for IEN

  1. Hi there I'll be flying to Canada this September if my student visa is granted. I am also currently applied for assessment of eligibility in CARNA. Most likely they will require me to take the SEC assessment in CANADA. Just in case I failed and required me to take the complete course for the bridging program.

    I have questions to those IEN currently taking the Canadian bridging program in Mount Royal College:

    How much is the cost of the entire course per level? (If an IEN was advice to take all the subjects in the bridging program)

    Do the hospitals let the students handle the patient directly under supervision? (for Level III course)

    Lastly, any feedback about the course?

    Please don't get me wrong about my outlook on my nursing skills or judgment. I asked those questions to plan my finances so that I won't go in CANADA unprepared.
  2. Visit frustratednurse profile page

    About frustratednurse

    Joined: May '08; Posts: 36; Likes: 3


  3. by   gemini_star
    Hi there,

    Janfrn has answers to your questions as we both asked the same questions. Here's the link:
  4. by   frustratednurse
    I read the thread that you referred, thank you very much. But I still want to know the experience of students from the bridging program. So I can picture it out and condition my mind.
  5. by   gemini_star
    If ever one is found unsatisfactory in the SEC assessment, he has to take the necessary subjects to make up for it like maternity, pediatrics, right? So what are the grounds of taking the bridging program for IEN if this is not compulsary to all? I believe this is another set of classes aside from those you lack in SEC.
    Last edit by gemini_star on Apr 18, '09
  6. by   NotReady4PrimeTime
    As I've explained on a number of other threads, SEC examines nursing education and knowledge base in the five major subspecialties: medicine, surgery, obstetrics, psychiatry and pediatrics. The bridging program doesn't worry about what you learned in nursing school, it prepares you to work in a Canadian health care environment. For example, what do you know about the Canada Health Act? The Canadian Nurses' Association Code of Ethics? The Health Professions Act? The Protection of Persons in Care Act? The Vulnerable Persons Act? The Protection of Health Information Act? Continuing Competency? All of these things are at least familiar to Canadian-educated nurses, even if they can't quote them chapter and verse. There are IENs who will maange verywell in a Canadian healthcare setting without the bridging program, but they will be nurses from areas where conditions and regulation are very similar.