Enquiry need an answer fast please

  1. Hi everyone
    Are there any school nurses in the aussie section?. My concern is that where I work, one of the dorm masters says he will not be giving any medications at all. Some of our students require these late at night and early morning. Is there anywhere I can find out if there is some sort of regulation that allows a dorm master to administer medications at times when school nurses are not available? I don't think it has come up before? They are working as parents in the absence of parents and therefore wouldn't it be reasonable to assume this issue was covered. I will search other areas outside all nurses but any tips or info much appreciated. Thanks in advance
  2. Visit greatshakes profile page

    About greatshakes

    Joined: Nov '05; Posts: 278; Likes: 29
    Specialty: 4 year(s) of experience in aged -adolescent


  3. by   Grace Oz
    Perhaps you could contact the state education department and find out what their policy is on this. I would have thought, as you do, that since he/she is in a parental replacement role, that administering medications would fall within their job description.
    Sorry can't offer more on this. hope you have success in obtaining the answer.
  4. by   jax
    I don't know the answer to your question, but would it be worth ringing the school nurses at other boarding schools to see what they do? Or you could work a 24 hour day. Good luck.
  5. by   gwenith
    You HAVE to check the drug administration act which here is known as the

    Health(Drugs and Poisons Regulation 1996)


    I am no expert - you should contact the union for legal advise but it is my understanding of this act that no-one who is not endorsed or authorised under the act can ADMINISTER a medication.