Do i have enough to take the NCLEX

  1. Hi,

    I was wondering if anyone could help me. I qualifed last year in England with a BSc Hons degree in adult nursing. I want to move to America/Canda, unsure which yet but I don't know if my qualification is enough. I did no practical (clinical) placements in paeds, psych or maternity. If anyone can give me some pointers i would be greatful.
  2. Visit heartsol profile page

    About heartsol

    Joined: Apr '09; Posts: 17


  3. by   elkpark
    The US uses a "generalist" system to educate nurses, and you will not be eligible for testing or licensure in any state of the US without completing classroom and clinical hours in peds, OB, and psych. I don't know the specific hours required, but I do know there are other, older threads on this site discussing this, and there are some UK nurses who post here who have completed the hours and qualified for US licensure.
  4. by   heartsol
    Thanks for your swift reply, i guessed i would need to train for these, i'm unsure where to look to find the faculty where i could gain the required experience, i have searched online with no luck.
  5. by   elkpark
    Here are some of the threads on this site that have discussed this -- you may find some useful information.
  6. by   Silverdragon102
    For both Canada and US you need to be generalist in training only exception is mental health where a couple of provinces in Canada will accept mental health training. For the US you need to be aware of retrogression and many years waiting. For Canada will be quicker as long as you meet college requirements and find a job. I have moved this to the International forum as much to do and read regarding application for license and there are many threads there discussing this
  7. by   Silverdragon102
    There also used to be a thread in the UK forum with mention of a couple of universities where you may be able to make hours up for the US may want to do a search for that. Some provinces may have courses where you can make up any hours that you need to (I know Nova Scotia do as I am going to be doing it and having spoke to them they have had a couple of UK nurses do the courses)
  8. by   heartsol
    Could you send me a link to the forum where it says about universitys in the UK to do the top up training please.
  9. by   Silverdragon102
    Check out the UK forum, It may be under the sticky near the top of the page re consolidation of stickies