an enquiry from U.K.

  1. I've visited Nova Scotia several times and have fallen in love with the place. How easy is it for a nurse from the U.K. (I have a management dgree and a nursing degree) to come and work in Canada. I have varied experience - elderly, elderly psych., dermatology, outpatient clinics, G.P. nursing etc. Are there lots of exams I would have to do? I am aged 49 and my husband is a Dr.
    Any info. would help thanks.
  2. Visit madeleine profile page

    About madeleine

    Joined: Jun '01; Posts: 47; Likes: 10
    Dermatology Nurse


  3. by   fergus51
    Probably pretty easy! I don't know NS's BON, but ours in BC is or and can get you to a link to NS. Yu could also go to and click on Canadian hospitals, search for the city you want and thirhospitals recruiter could put you in touch with the right people.
  4. by   Gailsimpson
    It all depends whether you want to go over on a work permit or if you want to apply for permanent residency. We are in the process of applying for residency and it is a long, hard, frustrating process.

    I also have a management degree and am an RGN. The immigration authorities want proof of everything and it can be very expensive. You need a transcript of your degrees and letters stating that you completed your course (just the certificate won't do). You will need a transcript of your nursing course and have to meet all the requirements of the state that you are applying to. We are applying to Ontario so I don't know if the process is different. If you can sort out a job, the hospital has to apply for temporary registration for you. You have to pass the canadian exam within a year of your arrival - but they only hold the exam 4 times a year. It is very difficult to obtain the registration without a job offer so I would advise you to contact some of the hospitals.

    Your area of practice is also relevant to your application. The hospital has to apply to the government dept, who then check that you aren't taking a job that could be done by a Canadian citizen. There are only certain areas where they need nurses, in August they told me in Toronto that they could only get permits for ICU, theatres, oncology, A&E and psychiatry.

    If you apply for permanent residency it is worked out on how many points you have. You can do a self-assessment on which has all the info and the forms to download for your application. One of my friends is married to a doctor but they did not go in the end because there wasn't a shortage of doctors, so it doesn't always help.

    Be prepared to have to get lots of references. We have to supply copies of employment contracts, job descriptions and letters from all employers since the age of 18! This isn't easy - we are both 40 and some employers no longer exist or you can't remember all the details! If you have any queries you can't phone the Canadian High Commission, you have to go in person, write or fax.

    I wish you all the best, it is a real pain but we are still going ahead as we believe that the lifestyle will be better for us and our children. Also if you have relatives over there you get extra points. If you go on a work permit you will get there quicker but you would still have to go through the residency process if you wanted to stay. Also if you want to buy a house etc I imagine it would be difficult if you are only there on a permit. It says on the residency info that you must have 12 months left on your permit if you apply for residency, but they only appear to issue them for 12 months at a time so it seems a bit of a catch 22! Another friend was offered a job in Vancouver in March, they decided to go on a work permit but had so much hassle that in October they still hadn't got their permits and decided to apply to New Zealand instead - they fly on monday! So Canada appears to be slower than elsewhere.
  5. by   travel2lv
    Hi Madeleine, I'm a nurse from N.S. and also love it there. I'm now doing a contract in Hawaii, (psych.) Anyway it looks like you got some good advice so far. If you have any questions about the maritimes, hosp., Board of Nursing etc. I'd be glad to help. Coincidentally my husband and I dearly want to go to the U.K to work next year but like you, are really not sure how to go about it, eg. where should we work, where are the most agency and Canadian friendly places etc. Hope I can help, travel2lv
  6. by   disher
    Madeleine this is the link for Nova Scota's nurses college
    Gail gave a detailed description of the process (I did not realize that it was so onerous) The only thing I can add is, check the website's of Nova Scotia hospitals. There are probably several hospitals looking to hire and their human resources department may be able to help you with the process of relocating. Good luck