1-year LPN program in Newfoundland and Labrador

  1. I am currently enrolled in an LPN 2-year program at Centennial College in Toronto. I'm on a student visa and classes don't start till January 2012. Now, I just found out that in Newfoundland and Labrador, there is a 1-year LPN program at Center for Nursing Studies. With a student visa, I can actually change schools/field of study without having to change my permit or notify the embassy. So I'm just wondering: Would it be a good idea to consider a 1-year PN program or is there a BIG difference in terms of quality of education and job opportunities.

  2. Visit kamae profile page

    About kamae

    Joined: Sep '11; Posts: 38; Likes: 2
    from CA


  3. by   loriangel14
    It may depend on where you are going to work. I work with an LPN(RPN) that went to school on the east coast and took a 1 year program. Even though we all pass the same exam she told me she had to take some additional hours before she could work in Ontario.She didn't specify what exactly but I think she mentioned pharmacology and physical assessment hours were lacking.

    Mind you this is just what someone told me so I couldn't guarantee the validity of it.
  4. by   Fiona59
    Nah, she was correct. The exam is written to the lowest level of eduction in the country. BC has a shorter course than AB and when BC nurses moved to AB they had to complete course work in A&P to work here.

    If you want to live and work out there go for it. Otherwise do the education in the province you want to work.

    Wait, student visa? Will the education be recognized back home is a better question.
  5. by   loriangel14
    Fiona has a good point. if you are on a student visa will LPN be recognized at home? Where are you from? A student visa will not allow you to stay and work.
  6. by   future_hero
    Loriangel14 and Fiona59 bring upon very good points. Another question you want to consider is what type of quality education you are looking for? I think it is important to think about going with a program that can best prepare you for the the profession. Also from what I hear, the demand for LPN's to practice at full scope is expected and take on the some RN responsibilities; so you would want to ensure that you have the competencies to comfortably practice at that level.

    @FIONA59 "The exam is written to the lowest level of eduction in the country."
    so does that mean each country has different difficulty levels for CPNE exams? I thought it would be regulated by the CNA or something?!?
  7. by   Fiona59
    Every province has a different approach to education. AB and ON have moved to the 2+year diploma. Several provinces have the one year approach.

    So, you have to look at the maximum amount of material covered in the minimum amount of time and the scope of practice in the province where the education is obtained.

    PNs from BC had (could still have?) a less intense A&P course than the AB curriculum. If they moved to AB, CLPNA required them to do "catchup" work to get their permit in AB.

    Some provinces over prepare their nurses. When I went through, we did our four semesters with about one week off for a break between semesters. So I did two years worth of work in 56 weeks. It was a killer.

    Currently, AB and ON PN graduates leave with first year academic Arts credits. So that added an extra semester onto the workload or it was integrated into the existing curriculum. I doubt that grads in BC and NF have these courses.

    The exam covers the basic level entry skill set to work.


    clearly outlines what is required to be eligible to write the exam.

    But the student visa is the more troubling issue. Will the education here meet the OP's homeland requirements?
  8. by   kamae
    Thanks for all your replies.

    No, this isn't recognized in my country. But, I"m not studying to work in the Philippines. I'm studying to work in Canada. After graduating from a full-time course 8 months or longer, international students are encouraged and are eligible to apply for a post-graduate work permit with a validity just as long as the course they took. It's Canada's way of keeping their international graduates and encouraging them to work in Canada.


    This permit does not require a job offer.

    I'll apply for this permit... hopefully be able to get work... get at least a year of experience as LPN and then apply for Canadian experience class immigrant visa.

    I will be eligible to apply for this permit after graduation that's why I'm hoping for a shorter course. But from how I understood from your replies, I think if I take it in Newfoundland and Labrador, I may be limited to only find work there. If I'm to move to another province in Canada, I might have to take extra courses in order to register.
  9. by   kamae
    Quote from loriangel14
    Fiona has a good point. if you are on a student visa will LPN be recognized at home? Where are you from? A student visa will not allow you to stay and work.
    I'm from the Philippines. I can get a post-graduate work permit after graduating from my course.


    I think this may be a new program so maybe that's why not a lot of people know about it. But it's Canada's way to encourage international students to gain some Canadian work experience. After one year of experience as LPN, the applicant can then apply for a Canadian experience class immigrant visa. It's actually one of the routes now to becoming a permanent resident in Canada.

    Since my program of study is 2 years in length, my post-graduation work permit will have a validity of 2 years as well. The question now really is if I'm willing to limit job opportunities to NL.
  10. by   Silverdragon102
    Also be aware if looking at the FSW route to whether RN or LPN will be on the list in a couple of years. We have already seen the list reduced down to 500 from 1000 and it may even result in not being on the list when many Canadian residents (including Citizens and people with PR) looking for work
  11. by   kamae
    Is the FSW route the Canadian experience class immigrant visa route? I hope it'll still be in the list by then. Thanks.
  12. by   kamae
    From how I understood the Canadian Experience Class route... If you were an international student, then gained at least a year of experience in a profession with your post-grad work permit with NOC skill type 0, A and B, you are already eligible to apply. I am not sure if this follows the list of the 29 desired occupations though.

    I do know that LPNs are part of the occupations in one of those skill types..
  13. by   Silverdragon102
    yes the list appears to also come under the canadian experienced route

    to ensure that you can apply for permanent residence under the canadian experience class, at least one year of work experience under the permit must be at skill type 0, or skill level a or b under the national occupational classification (noc). your work experience must be gained within two years of the time you applied.

    full-time work experience means working at least 37.5 paid hours per week.

  14. by   kamae
    Thanks. I really hope that LPNs will still be part of the NOC skill types required for this application. I think Licensed practical nurse is NOC skill type B... I'm not sure. I read a way to interpret the NOC list but can't seem to find it anymore.

    I'm not sure if they would still base it on the 29 occupations list though. From how I understand it, I think that is for those who did not start out as international students and have garnered work experience in their homeland.

    The NOC skill types 0, A and B have plenty of occupations that are not necessarily in the 29 occupations list... so does this mean those occupations wouldn't qualify?

    I may be wrong since I base this purely on how I understand the things on CIC website. Please feel free to correct me.