Independent RNs/Paramedicals?

Nurses General Nursing


This is a stupid question, but, what are the nurses called that go into people's homes for insurance companies/workman's comp purposes and do exams? Paramedical RN's right? Or do I have the name completely wrong here?

Hellllllo Nurse, BSN, RN

3 Articles; 3,563 Posts

One that took specimens for drug testing, and did an "exam" for a company that tried to sell my husband life ins turned out to be a medical asst. Not a nurse.


205 Posts

Is a paramedical someone that does independent exams in homes for insurance companies? I'm trying to get the right name of this type of position? Thanks...


1,326 Posts

Maybe it depends on the state you are in as to what they are called?

I am in PA. I just had a brief physical history taken last weekend, blood and urine specimens also taken for Life insurance purposes. This was all done in my home by a Medical Assistant.

I would imagine that if you are examining someone under workman's comp you would have to have more med. and assessment exp. than a med. assist can provide.

I will work extremely hard my Nursing License. Once I get it I don't want anyone calling me anything other than RN. I will have worked very hard for that RN behind my name :D


115 Posts

Specializes in Med Surg, Ortho, Hospice, Home Health.

I worked in an office (examination insurance services) that had a staff of 15 Phlebotomist's that went into peoples homes to do life insurance exams for many different insurance companies. Their title was simply, Phlebotomist. They had to have completed a phlebotomy course and CPR training. The staff doctor trained them on the rest (BP etc.) None of them were RN's or even CNA's.

renerian, BSN, RN

5,693 Posts

Specializes in MS Home Health.

I did that in Ohio and had RN on my name tag. Field RN on my job description. Since I was contract I had to carry my own which I always carry.


This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X