I-CVT vs RN?

Nurses General Nursing


:o Today, for some odd reason, I picked up my college handbook and started thumbing thru it and looking at other majors.. maybe one that I could get done faster than nursing, since I now have recieved a "maybe" for fall 2004, which means Id be a 2006 grad. Well anyways.. it seems that my school offers an I-CVT program (Invasive Cardiovascular Technogist). Im pretty sure I could get into the program this spring and be done with it fairly fast :eek: I know its not nursing, but honestly you guys don't seem to be happy with the long hours, crappy pay, etc.. and it doesnt seem worth it. I was looking on salary.com.. does anyone know which title ICVT is under?? Its not perfusionist but it CANT be Invasive Cardiologist. Im just wondering what the pay rate is..b/c Im considering changing majors now :imbar

Thanks for the help



294 Posts

You're right- it's not an Invasive Cardiology program. That requires a BS in a premed type program, med school, a residency, then a fellowship or three. At least a dozen years of schooling and training.

I wonder if this is a training program for Cath Lab techs. I thought they were XRay techs that got extra training on the job, but maybe not.

If that is the case, it's a very different world from nursing. I am just guessing, but if it's a training program for Cath Lab scrub techs, I don't know what else you could do with this experience. With an RN, you have a lot of flexibility.

Not sure if this helps you- less independence and less career progression than an RN gets you, less money than an RN is paid, and yet you still have the lousy hours and call.

If I'm right about all this, I would suggest sticking with nursing. Could you take prereq's while you're waiting to make it easier later? Or maybe even apply to a couple other programs? Sometimes people change their minds and there are last minute openings.


156 Posts

I am taking pre-reqs.. but I will be finished with ALL the non-nursing courses when fall 2004 rolls around.. and I cant move around Nursing courses because they fall in order, so ill be making up class. CVT can be moved around though, so I could take a few at the same time. Just trying to save myself some time.

jjjoy, LPN

2,801 Posts

Have you asked these questions to representatives of the program? Since your school offers the I-CVT program (not familiar with that kind of program), they ought to be able to answer some of your questions, though you'd still want to double check them. When you get some answers, come back and share them here so we're all informed about other healthcare training options.


541 Posts

Specializes in Cardiac/Vascular & Healing Touch.

I've not heard of I-CVT program. Our cath lab folks are 1) RN, 2) RRT (xray tech), 3) CVT (paramedic or LPN or OR scrub tech who goes thru hospital run program to complete a certificate). Many RT's & RN's cross train to scrub in for more skills. Pays to know more jobs. Our perfusionists go to a program out of UAB (univ. AL Birmingham) for such jobs. Pays well from what I hear...


24 Posts

My husband is a perfusionist and this is not a perfusion program. That usually requires a BA/BS in addition to a 18mon-2yrs intensive training program. (depending on what school you attend) I would suggest holding on to becoming an RN. The sky is the limit for jobs and the pay is improving all the time.


2,099 Posts

Specializes in Corrections, Psych, Med-Surg.

"Since your school offers the I-CVT program (not familiar with that kind of program), they ought to be able to answer some of your questions, though you'd still want to double check them. When you get some answers, come back and share them here so we're all informed about other healthcare training options."

My thoughts exactly.


156 Posts

Got a few questions answered today, they said that brochures would be put out soon to watch for that.

Anyways.. really all I found out was that its an associate of applied science degree. Its a "mix" of different titles put together to make a new field, and put some relief on other areas. They I-CVT work in cath labs, cardio offices, rehab, and can also work in labs. Duties can vary from education about excerise to working in the OR and cath lab. Salary in this area is about 19 an hour starting vs 21 an hour starting for nursing (average).

Ill fill you in when the pamplets come out.


156 Posts

Here you go..everyone that was interested.. I think this may be my new major next semester :)


The invasive Cardiovascular Technologist is a medical professional who is highly skilled and trained in the applied science of invasive cardiovascular technology with experience in all aspects of diagnostic and interventional cardiovascular procedures and who has demonstrated proficiency and knowledge through a credentialing examination.

Academic training in the science of invasive cardiovascular technology includes: a bachelor of science degree, an associate of science degree from a two year course of study, or a certification of completion awarded from a hospital, trade or technical cardiovascular educational program. All of which have been accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Allied Health Educational Programs (CAAHEP) or an equivalently accredited allied health or science degree with practical experience. Confirmation of educational preparation, knowledge, and competence is evidenced by the achievement of professional credentials in invasive technology.

The invasive Cardiovascular Technologist position generally requires working in a Cardiac Cath Lab or Special Procedures Lab. The Cardiac Cath Lab provides professional cardiovascular care to the patient undergoing cardiac evaluation, diagnosis and treatment for cardiovascular disease known or suspected or for cardiac anomalies.

In this setting, the procedures require either puncture or incision of an artery or vein which is used to thread a thin catheter that will traverse the vessel and position itself in the heart. This position requires high levels of understanding of cardiovascular anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, radiation, physics and safety, as well as radiological imaging and positioning. Accuracy in waveform and hemodynamic analysis and measurement, preparing and administering medications, acquiring a viable image and proper sterile procedure are all prerequisites for a person in this position.

The credential awarded to the invasive cardiovascular technologist, upon completion of the invasive registry examination is Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS).

renerian, BSN, RN

5,693 Posts

Specializes in MS Home Health.

Sounds good to me. renerian

This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X