Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania

Posted
by Malvo Malvo, MSN, NP (New) New

What is a usual day for an ACNP working in the Neuro ICU at Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP)?

Numenor

Has 9 years experience.

Karen steals all the coffee and donuts from the break room in the morning. C'mon this is ridiculously specific. The chance a neuro ICU ACNP from HUP is browsing here is next to 0.

Perhaps someone could provide a sensible response even a bedside nurse who works at HUP Neuro ICU could lend some insight.

Neuro Guy NP, DNP, PhD, APRN

Specializes in Vascular Neurology and Neurocritical Care. Has 9 years experience.

47 minutes ago, Numenor said:

Karen steals all the coffee and donuts from the break room in the morning. C'mon this is ridiculously specific. The chance a neuro ICU ACNP from HUP is browsing here is next to 0.

Never say never! While I personally don't work there, I know people who do. I know many people in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York from a variety of disciplines. In fact, when I lived in the area I interviewed there but ultimately decided to relocate to take another opportunity elsewhere. I do believe however that members who may work there are probably won't comment to maintain their privacy.

Anyway, OP, HUP is a great place to work. Top of the line facility - one of the very best in the nation - and there's lots of pathology so you'll get a good experience.

Edited by Neuro Guy NP

1 hour ago, Neuro Guy NP said:

Never say never! While I personally don't work there, I know people who do. I know many people in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York from a variety of disciplines. In fact, when I lived in the area I interviewed there but ultimately decided to relocate to take another opportunity elsewhere. I do believe however that members who may work there are probably won't comment to maintain their privacy.

Anyway, OP, HUP is a great place to work. Top of the line facility - one of the very best in the nation - and there's lots of pathology so you'll get a good experience.

Thank you! I am aware that HUP is a teaching hospital and leader in research. HUP ICUs has a lot of residents and fellows, so I was wondering how does the NP fit in.

Neuro Guy NP, DNP, PhD, APRN

Specializes in Vascular Neurology and Neurocritical Care. Has 9 years experience.

18 hours ago, Malvo said:

Thank you! I am aware that HUP is a teaching hospital and leader in research. HUP ICUs has a lot of residents and fellows, so I was wondering how does the NP fit in.

Depends on the ICU. It is an issue in some ICUs as everyone competes for things to do. If memory serves me, it is not quite the issue in Neuro as it is Trauma or Cardiac. But my last discussion with folks on this topic is a bit dated.