Jump to content

Going to Nursing school in Puerto Rico

Posted

Hi I am finishing my prerequisites and I should be done in Spring 2016. I wanted to know are there any English speaking programs and what are some good schools. I have been to Puerto Rico a few times in the Condado area. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, I have check out some schools online but it is hard to translate because it is in Spanish.

NurseMedic28

Specializes in Emergency.

There is a well known English program at InterAmerican University location, metro campus. But I just finished it and I really, highly, DO NOT recommend it.

OrganizedChaos, LVN

Specializes in M/S, LTC, Corrections, PDN & drug rehab. Has 10 years experience.

There is a well known English program at InterAmerican University location, metro campus. But I just finished it and I really, highly, DO NOT recommend it.

Lol. Yeah, that sounds like a bad idea. :p

OrganizedChaos, LVN

Specializes in M/S, LTC, Corrections, PDN & drug rehab. Has 10 years experience.

Why is that?

I don't think the schools there would be as good as in the U.S. I would definitely check the NCLEX pass rates & look for reviews. Are the schools nationally or regionally accredited? Do your research.

I definitely will do my research, I plan on moving there next year so I will definitely make sure the school is accredited.

JustBeachyNurse, RN

Specializes in Complex pediatrics turned LTC/subacute geriatrics. Has 11 years experience.

Many states consider those educated in PR to be internationally educated and since most often the instruction is in Spanish you may have to demonstrate English competency to become licensed. If you don't speak Spanish, why go to school in PR where the primary language is Spanish? The NCLEX pass rates are better than overseas educated nurses but not nearly as good as Canadian or US educated nurses. The NCLEX is not used to become licensed in PR so the nursing curriculum does not prepare you for the NCLEX like a US school does. Read the forum many non-Spanish speaking students have struggled in PR and have had difficulty passing the NCLEX.

It is not impossible but a more difficult route. They typically don't follow a U.S. Curriculum so they can't be accredited by the U.S. Agencies NLNAC/CCNE

I am from Texas and I attend the bilingual (mostly English) BSN program in UMET,Bayamon and I did well, and passed the NCLEX the first time. You have to study on your own a lot and be proactive in your approach to their style of educating. I took one class at InterAmericana and that class was taught well, it is being run by a new director and appears to be doing well overall. Nursing school is what you make of it. I started studying for the NCLEX using Uworld way before I graduated.

It just depends on the college you go to and the accrediration it has. I'm fully bilingual, born and raised in PR, but partially lived in New York. I wanted to initially start nursing school there but there was so many prerequierments (just to make it on a waiting list). So I started researching schools with good nursing programs. Today I successfully finished my ADN without the need of prerequierments. I got my ADN in the Inter American University of Puerto Rico Ponce Campus, where we have a separate campus just for healthcare program students. The program is amazing and I absolutely recommend it. We have the MSCHE accreditation and recently were approved with the CCNE accreditation as of this Spring semester. So like I said, it depends on the college. Yes, we take different tests instead of the NCLEX, but you also have the option to take it, but do have to study independently. Yet, I strongly recommend this program. The way it's built, is to make the best future health professional there has to offer, and the program and professors do provide this, making this a once in a lifetime college experience.

On 6/11/2020 at 3:36 PM, Koraima Torres said:

It just depends on the college you go to and the accrediration it has. I'm fully bilingual, born and raised in PR, but partially lived in New York. I wanted to initially start nursing school there but there was so many prerequierments (just to make it on a waiting list). So I started researching schools with good nursing programs. Today I successfully finished my ADN without the need of prerequierments. I got my ADN in the Inter American University of Puerto Rico Ponce Campus, where we have a separate campus just for healthcare program students. The program is amazing and I absolutely recommend it. We have the MSCHE accreditation and recently were approved with the CCNE accreditation as of this Spring semester. So like I said, it depends on the college. Yes, we take different tests instead of the NCLEX, but you also have the option to take it, but do have to study independently. Yet, I strongly recommend this program. The way it's built, is to make the best future health professional there has to offer, and the program and professors do provide this, making this a once in a lifetime college experience.

Hi Koraima! is there any way we can exchange emails?? I have some questions about interamerican and haven't been able to find someone to talk too!

7 minutes ago, erika_cee said:

Hi Koraima! is there any way we can exchange emails?? I have some questions about interamerican and haven't been able to find someone to talk too!

Yeah, no problem! You can contact me through koraima.torres.121@gmail.com.

57 minutes ago, Koraima Torres said:

Yeah, no problem! You can contact me through koraima.torres.121@gmail.com.

okay I emailed you :)