Nurse Aides - page 2

We have always used the term nurse aides but just recently our staff said they wished there was another title for them. As they say, they really help the residents, not the nurses. What titles do... Read More

  1. by   mlvogt
    when i worked in the nursing home i was often the team leader i made the assignments and had more responsibility since i was one of the seasoned aides can you believe that and i was only 19 and had more senority that is sad any ways that made me feel important just to have the title.

  2. by   destiny5255
    Originally posted by Kizomo:
    Hi Judy...

    At the facilities where I work here in Canada, the aides are referred to as Long Term Care Aides, or more simply Resident Care Aides. Hope this helps.
    yES INREFERENCES TO: oue cnas are called at our facility CNT"S OR RNT"S
    which stands for certified nursing tech/registered nursing tech and they love it
    and as far as them not being our helpers but the pts only I disagree because our
    cnt's are our right arms some days I don't know what I would do with out their help
    And as for incentives some of our tech.'s hold positions as scheduler , secretary
    some are in charge of weekly, daily , and monthly wts. and we also so have so in charge of helping to admitted new pts to the facility. As far as pay we always do and always will base it on the cnt and their education in a certain area and years of experiences because if you think about it they are a plus for any company and will always be a adset to the company and not a liability

  3. by   mmboudreau
    Originally posted by Judy T:
    We have always used the term nurse aides but just recently our staff said they wished there was another title for them. As they say, they really help the residents, not the nurses. What titles do other nursing homes use? Also, do you have any nurse aide levels or categories that change as they gain senority and experience? Do they get more benefits or responsibility? Am trying to push for some extra's that won't cost the facility money, or at least not a lot of money.
    Thanks for any help.

    Dear Judy,
    I work in a Large nursing home in N.S. Since 1997 we have been referred to as LPNs the reason for the change from CNA they told us was that we no longer are nursing assisstants but practical nurses who are licenced just as RNs are.This was their reasoning behind the name change & I tend to agree. We even take on the role of charge nurse in certain situations.
  4. by   Stacey Tortorice
    I belive that we should be called nurse techs
    assistance.web page
  5. by   Cubby
    PCAs = Patient Care Assistants
  6. by   Beresher
    we call all our staff Carers - because that is what we do. whether RN or NVQ
    Regards Lizabeth
  7. by   Flynurse
    At one hospital I had my rotation at they called them Patient Care Technicians (PCT's), Tech's for short. According to the state they were CNA's, but at the hospital they were given extra training in order to care for the hospital patient.

    Personally, at the LTC unit I work in, I call the CNA's by their first names, as do the residents. Rarely does someone ask me for "an aide." Usually, the residents ask "Who is helping me tonight?"
  8. by   Fran-RN
    In Indiana you do not have to be certified to be a nursing assistant in a hospital. but you do have to have certification in LTC. One place called their CNAs Care Specialists because they really are. The CNAs voted on this title. In regard to titles on name tags. I think that is important because the resident/ patient deserves to know who is taking care of them. Some hospitals will try to hide the fact that they are using unlicensed staff to do the nursing care. I have been with family members where the nurse aides let the patient believe they are talking to a nurse. NOt good. I have great respect for the CNAs. RN/ LPNs are trained to assess, and evaluate. CNAs are trained to observe report. In LTC the role of the CNA is specifically spelled out by reguluation and the facility can be in big trouble if they allow the CNA to practice outside their scope. ( I'm speaking Indiana, not sure about other states)