What a miserable week! (vent)

  1. Usually I don't do this, but I really need to vent about my week. It really started off okay. Monday was fine. Tuesday and Wednesday we were snowed in and classes were canceled. Wednesday also happened to be Valentine's day. My boyfriend and I chose to do lunch instead of dinner because we figured the roads would be better during the daytime. Good thing we did because he got called into work around 5pm.

    Now, my boyfriend is a firefighter, so there is always the tiny worry in the back of my mind that something could happen to him when he's at work, but usually I try not to think about it. But around 7:45 he calls to tell me that he hurt himself and is on his way to the ER. Luckily it was just a finger (he smashed it underneath the seat he was sitting on in the fire truck), but still, he had to go to the ER to get checked out, and he told me he wasn't sure if he would be allowed to drive home, so I might have to go get him. He had no idea how long it would take, depending how busy the ER was. Finally he called at midnight (I hadn't slept yet) and told me they were letting him drive home, and he'd be home as soon as he finished paperwork at work. He got home at almost 2am (luckily I had been asleep for about 30 minutes at this point). I had to be up at 5 to go to clinical.

    Clinical on Thursdays is usually not too bad. In my comatose state I prayed for one (sometimes we have two) easy patient and that maybe my instructor would be easy on me due to my lack of sleep. When I arrived she announced that we would all have two patients. So much for an easy day. The rest of the day went okay, although I was absolutely exhausted.

    This morning, while driving to clinical, my car suddenly starts jerking around. I manage to make it off the freeway to a local grocery store and get a ride to the hospital from my boyfriend. During clinical I asked one of my classmates if she could give me a ride home, and she said she could, but she needed to do some research on her patient first. I didn't really want to wait, so I asked another friend of mine. Apparently 4 other people ALSO asked him for a ride, so 6 of us decided to pile into his tiny sports car. We went out to the parking lot in the hospital and he had parked in a spot where his front bumper was up against a foot-high snow drift. And someone had parked in behind him, so he couldn't get out. We managed to flag down the hospital police, who first tried to flatten the snow drift with their SUV. Then they went and found a man with a shovel and shoveled away the whole snow drift (which took about 45 minutes, all together -- so much for getting home early). Meanwhile they managed to find the man who parked my friend in, and as the snow drift had cleared away just enough to get the car out, the guy came and moved his car.

    When I got home I called the auto shop to see if they could tow my car from the grocery store. They tried, but there were too many cars parked near me to do it without my keys. Of course, I had no way to give them my keys because I HAD NO CAR. So I dropped off the keys as soon as I could get a ride, and they plan to tow my car tomorrow and inspect it on Monday. I will likely need rides to and from school most of next week, which is frustrating for me. I hate having to rely on people to take me places. Not to mention I have no idea how much the car repairs will cost (and won't know until Monday) and since I'm in school full time, I don't have a job. So I don't know how I am going to pay for my car to get fixed.

    Luckily the week is over and hopefully next week will be vastly better. Thanks for listening to me rant.
  2. Visit Megsd profile page

    About Megsd

    Joined: Mar '04; Posts: 814; Likes: 127
    Clinical Nurse
    Specialty: Neuro


  3. by   realnursealso/LPN
    :smiletea: Relax and snuggle up with a warm blanket and your warmest sweats. TGIF...............this week is over. :Snowman1:
  4. by   WDWpixieRN
    Ah, some weeks go like that...good luck with your car....I hope it's minor...I'm in that money crunch thing where my little bit of savings is dwindling and I've got some medical bills to pay (tests, routine visits, etc.) and I'm wondering how long I can hold out before I have get a job and go to school full-time!!

    I was hoping to be able to hang in there until I could get a student nursing internship this summer!!

    Best wishes and I'm glad your boyfriend wasn't seriously hurt! Be grateful for the small blessings!!
  5. by   *Blessed2BaNRS*
    Wow Meghan, we must have had the same week!!! Nah, actually mine wasn't too bad until Wednesday. My hubby and I were going out for Valentine dinner and my van just stopped. We pulled over, had my mother come get us so we could still go to dinner, stood in line for over an hour, then finally got to order and eat. The next day, we went to look at the car and after replacing different parts that could have caused the problem, found out the timing belt broke.

    Luckily, hubby can fix anything, but with us being down to 1 vehicle, trying to get 4 kids to school, hubby to work, me to school and then hubby to school after his work, all in a slug bug, it is crazy!!! Finding out that it is the timing belt will require him to basically dismantle to whole right front of the car down to lifting the engine. And hoping that it didn't ruin any valves or pistons. He can take the next 2 weekends to fix it and us juggle the slug bug, or we can pay a mechanic $1500.00 to fix it (while still taking at least 3 days) which we cannot afford on his salary alone. So...vent, baby, cuz I will vent with you!!! Arrrgg!!

    Hope things get better for you soon!
  6. by   shoegalRN
    Hope things get better for you and your BF! I can certainly understand where you are coming from. My week started off crazy as well. V-day wasnt so good because I was worried about a test on Thursday at 8 am. Got to the test, the computer went blank in the middle of me taking the test and the instructor had to reset it. I had to retake the test all over again, and luckily for me, I passed.

    We have a Head to Toe assessment next Thursday and now I'm coming down with something. I'm desperately trying to clear myself up so my lab partner will hear normal breath sounds during our final.

    So, vent away, I'm with you!