you should find the information you are looking for among these websites:
- a nice list of the complications is listed here along with the causes
- nice, concise listing that includes the immediate, intermediate and late complication of tracheostomy. to find more information of the late complications i would do a search on e-medicine for the specific condition.
- this article from e-medicine has information about the late complications of tracheostomy: bleeding, tracheomalacia, stenosis, tracheoesophageal fistula, tracheocutaneous fistula, granulation, scarring, and failure to decannulate.
- care of the patient with a tracheostomy. includes complications in early and late stages, causes of them and prevention.
- care of the child with a chronic tracheostomy. at this same site is a short discussion on complications of tracheostomies http://www.thoracic.org/sections/edu...lications.html
that will give you an idea of some of the problems that may be encountered even though it is talking about pediatric patients.