Accepting the offer

  1. Hi,
    I applied to 3 LPN to RN programs and have been accepted by two so far. My first choice won't let me know until May so I am in a bit of a quandry. I'm not real wise with regard to scholastic ettiquite and would like some advice.

    First I am going to accept one of the two that I have been offered so far. I will need to go to an orientation next month. If I get offered a spot in my first choice and want to withdraw my acceptance of the first one, does that make me look totally unprofessional? I'm kind of old and being honorable and professional is very important to me and as we know the nursing arena is pretty incestious so I don't want to burn any bridges. I would imagine they can scare someone up to fill my spot even at the last minute, is this a fair assessement?

    Thanks for any advice you can offer, Jules
  2. Visit Jules A profile page

    About Jules A

    Joined: Aug '06; Posts: 8,895; Likes: 13,654


  3. by   queenjean
    Many, many people apply to and are accepted to multiple programs.

    The only thing I would ascertain is whether you have to pay a fee for them to hold your place; some places there isn't one, or it is low; one school I went to the fee was $500, and if you withdrew from the program you forfeited this fee. Fortunately this was the program I wanted, and the fee deadline was 5 weeks before the program began, so it wasn't like youhad to provide it 6 months in advance.

    Many people withdraw their acceptance to a program; it is not unprofessional in and of itself. Give them as much notice as possible (to give them time to contact people on the waiting list) and if possible, send a letter (ask them to put it in your file) as to why.
  4. by   WDWpixieRN
    I don't see that being a problem, except if, as queenjean mentions, there are fees involved that you might have to forfeit.

    I, too, am on the "elderly" side, lol, and understand and commend where you're coming from in your concern. However, it's your education and you deserve to get the best you can for your money and time, and whatever is prompting you to desire one program over another is YOUR choice.

    Believe me, they will have hundreds in line after you salivating for that position if you abdicate. We have at least 3 who were last-minute admissions and were THRILLED to have gotten in. They won't let your position go empty!!

    I did have to defer on an acceptance to one college I had originally been accepted to. I had been on my job for just short of the 5-year vesting date....if I had quit to start school, I would have missed a substantial amount of money in my 401(k) by about 4 weeks. There was no way I could do both. Then, I had some financial issues for the next semester and had to be dropped from their list. I made 2 "alternates" happy!! My name had come up in the meantime at an alternate college I had applied to and I was able to start last fall. It all worked out in the end. I'm sure it will for you, too!

    Best wishes!!
    Last edit by WDWpixieRN on Apr 8, '07
  5. by   Jules A
    Thank you both for replying. I am really thankful that I at least have a certain spot somewhere! Good to know that if my first choice comes available I won't be burning bridges and fortunately the $100 application fee isn't that big of a deal.
  6. by   Daytonite
    you aren't really committing until the tuition is due. so, until payment is due i would do what is asked and attend any orientations. this is a business decision and quite professional. if you get an acceptance from the school you really want to get into, then you call and withdraw from the other schools as soon as you know your final plans in order to give them time to contact the next person on their waiting list for the opportunity to attend their school. until then, you don't need to tell any of these schools anything about your plans. that's not how the business world works.

    i don't know where you got the idea that "the nursing arena is pretty incestious". i've been an rn staff nurse in acute hospitals and nursing homes as well as a supervisor and manager of nurses over a 31-year career and that thought never went through my mind. :icon_roll that has a sexual connotation. just what did you mean? :stone
  7. by   Galore
    I think the schools are very used to this. Just be professional (for example, if you do end up changing your mind and withdrawing an acceptance, you don't really need to get too detailed as to why). It's also considerate to your fellow applicants that you let the schools know as soon as possible what your final plans are so they can give that spot to someone else.