1. I want to become an APRN and specialize in psychiatric nursing. Can anyone tell me the education I will need to have? Thanks!
  2. Visit picturetheperfect profile page

    About picturetheperfect

    Joined: Oct '06; Posts: 2


  3. by   Cardiac-RN
    An advanced practice nurse has at least a master's degree.

    The first step would be to obtain your RN license and get some experience under your belt, because most MSN programs require some nursing experience. For example, you could graduate with your BSN, spend some time working as a nurse, take the GRE and apply to a MSN program that has a psych focus.

    Anybody jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here : )
  4. by   picturetheperfect
    Thanks that makes sense! How many years would that be?
  5. by   Tweety
    Do you mean ARNP as in Nurse Practioner?

    If so, then you're going to need to get a BSN and follow that with grad school to become a Nurse Practioner in Pysch.

    Good luck. Feel free to ask more questions.
  6. by   sirI
    Hello, picturetheperfect,

    Cardiac is correct. You will need MSN with specialty in psychiatric/mental health. BSN is normally 4 years. Then, enter MSN program to become an APRN (advanced practice registered nurse). You need to research the different NP programs that specialize in psych/mental health. There are also programs for the Clnical Nurse Specialist (CNS) in psych/mental health. The NP and the CNS are similar in job description/s. Much for you to consider.

    Good luck.
  7. by   NurseCard
    What about schools that have straight RN-to-MSN programs? How do those work? Anyone? Because I'm also interested in perhaps eventually becoming a psych NP or CNS, and the large university close to me offers an RN to MSN program.
  8. by   sirI
    Hello, RealNurseWitch,

    Works the same way. Many schools have the program - RN to MSN. Some will confer the dual NP/CNS specialty as well.

    The University of Kentucky has an NP and CNS program in psych/mental health:
    Last edit by sirI on Oct 13, '06