Licensure by Endorsement Question

  1. I was wondering if anyone has any specifics on licensure by endorsement. I got my original license in Mass. and moved to Florida. I got my Florida license by endorsement, but do I still have to keep up my Mass. license or what???? And would I have to meet the specific CEU requirements for my original licensing state???I'm CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Visit gambroRN profile page

    About gambroRN

    Joined: Apr '02; Posts: 48; Likes: 2
    dialysis RN - chronic hemodialysis


  3. by   P_RN
    Do you think you will return to Mass anytime soon? If so then you need the license. This site has a link to all the BON. The CEU requirement probably varies in each state.
    Last edit by P_RN on Dec 6, '02
  4. by   Jas honey
    my original license is from PA...i have licenses by endorsement in 12 other states including virginia, now the only one that is active. you have to do (CEUs, etc) and pay whatever each state asks if you want to keep the licenses active....i just let all of mine go to inactive states when the renewal period arrived....if i ever want to make them active again, i would have to provide proof of continuing education and pay the fees all over again. it IS handy to have licenses already though, if i ever move to iowa again!! (NOT) LOL
  5. by   ratchit
    You don't need to keep any license active if you're not working in that state. But if you're planning on moving, most states want to verify your license with the original state- MA in your case. I think keeping an active original license might make things a little faster/simpler in that case, but it's not a big deal unless you move a lot.

    If you do keep more than one active license, you don't need to get CEU's for each license. Just figure out how many you need each year and they'll count for all your licenses. Just remember that not all your licenses will renew at the same time- my main licenses renew in alternate years. It's not hard, but do keep in mind how many you need when. <g>

    If you do decide to let one lapse, wait until the renewal period then notify the state that you want it to go into an inactive status- don't just not pay. If you need the license back, getting one reactivated is usually easier than getting it in the first place.
  6. by   Anaclaire
    Many of the traveling nurses I've worked with recommend keeping your original state's license in effect because it often makes it easier to get another state's endorsement... something about it being the state you took your NCLEX-RN in and stuff like that. I've kept my original state's license current even though I don't expect to ever live there again... I may be wasting money doing that, but I figure it's the easiest thing to do...

    Just my 2 cents... LOL
    Last edit by Anaclaire on Dec 8, '02
  7. by   renerian
    You don't have to keep your other license up in your not going back. I got my cali license after Ohio. I still plan to move to cali so I will keep it and Ohio up. May want to keep it up in case you ever want to try traveling nursing like I did.