Levels of nursing around the world

  1. O.K. so I may be thick, I may be slow but, I have realized through this board that I havn't a clue how nursing works around the world.
    In Australia we have

    * Assistants-in -nursing, there is a course in some states at Tech. College level, in others you just apply and most people ( even without exp) can get a job at this level.
    * Aged care worker - Certificate course in most states, Pre-req. for Enrolled nursing in some states.

    Neither level can give out drugs or do technical nursing procedures. Can write notes and do some paper-work.

    * Enrolled Nurses and Endorsed Enrolled Nurses, do technical nursing procedures and Endorsement means that they can give drugs.

    Registered Nurses, as in most countries, however anything higher requires this degree, C.N.-Clinical nurse
    C.N.S.-Clinical Nurse Specialist
    C.N.C.-Clinical Nurse Consultant
    N.U.M.- Nursing Unit Manager
    There are other levels I'm just too tired to add them all but you get the drift, you need to be an R.N. to get any higher than R.N. E.n.'s do their training at T.A.F.E. College, R.N.'s do theirs at University. Most Assistant/Aged Care certificates are roughly a year long study course, Enrolled Nursing is a year plus the endorsement, R.N.'s is three years plus a grad year plus any further specialty you may wish to do.

    What did you have to do to get your nursing level?? Inquiring mind needs to know....
  2. Visit Aussienurse2 profile page

    About Aussienurse2

    Joined: Jun '02; Posts: 651; Likes: 3


  3. by   P_RN
    In the US we have 2 levels of Nurses.

    Registered Nurse=a 2, 3, or 4 year course of study, then passing the NCLEX exam to be licensed as an RN. All these RNs are generalists, ie: they do not study to be specialists before graduation. The diplomas are different but they all take the same test.

    After RN status you may begin working in any health care facility, you may study to be certified in a specialty area. With the (BSN)bachelors degree (4 years of college) you could continue for a Master's degree to become a Clinical Specialist or Midwife or Nurse Practitioner and several other possibilities.

    RN's perform all nursing duties, give meds and blood and may do other tasks with special training.

    Licensed Practical Nurse=12-18 month course usually at a technical college, then passing the NCLEX-P to be licensed as a LPN. In Texas and California the title is LVN (V=vocational) same thing as LPN. Most LPNs are certified to pass meds and to do bedside or office procedures. In most states they do not hang blood.

    As far as unlicensed personnel there are many titles.

    Technician=usually a student nurse just past fundamentals who can do such things as vitals, cath, personal care, vital signs etc.

    Nurse Assisitant=usually one with community training or on the job training. They usually do personal care only.

    Certified NA (CNA)= a formal training course that allows the same tasks as technician. SOmetimes called a PCA (patient care assistant)

    In some places there are medication technicians who administer medications. I am not very familiar with this as we don't have it in my state.

    Now there are probably as many different assistant titles as there are states in the US.
  4. by   SmilingBluEyes
    what about:

    NP- Nurse Practicioner (all the different kinds of course, Family NP, Pediatric NP, etc.)

    CMN- Certified Nurse Midwife

    Yes, these are Master-prepared (and beyond) nurses (the next level, if you will), but any of them will proudly tell you they are NURSES FIRST and bring to their practices the qualities nurses have that are quite unique...e.g., very good listening skills, outstanding assessment ablilities, and spending much time TEACHING health maintenance and disease prevention....and they often excel at that "human touch" that *nurses* are known for.
  5. by   Aussienurse2
    Thankyou, I now know what you all are talking about!! So LVN's are basically the same as E.N.'s here in Aus.
  6. by   jayna
    It seems most are like similar it's the wordings that make a different meaning. Just like A&E Nursing same as Emergency Nursing.......
  7. by   OrthoNutter
    You say tomayto...I say tomarto... :P Same job, different name...
  8. by   jayna
    Originally posted by OrthoNutter
    You say tomayto...I say tomarto... :P Same job, different name...